Distillate turned milky during diluting

Hi I was wondering if anyone has had this issue before. I was mixing up a batch of distillate with viscosity and may have added to much. After that moment I let my mix cool down to see how well it will flow and when I returned to check up on it, the whole thing turned milky white??? I also thought if it had any to do with any trace amounts of isopropyl alcohol left in my syringe.

1 Like

If I was wondering, I’d try Search results for 'cloudy distillate' - Future4200

I don’t recall anyone managing to achieve it quite the way you have, but you may well find some useful hints amongst those experiences.

if there was water in the iso in your syringe, that is a likely candidate
(would make you a loucher)
repeating the process without a contaminated syringe might be informative.

6 Likes

I’ve seen distillate turn cloudy after using a plastic syringe to add terpenes to it. When it happened to me, it was the terpenes eating the plastic from the syringe. It didn’t turn white, but definitely cloudy and milky. Not sure if this is what is happening for you though.

3 Likes

Any pg/ vg in your cut? Seen this happen with e cig concentrate

Oof. Yes those terps are nasty. Make sure your syringe materials are compatible. Ones with rubber plugs definitely are not!

1 Like

I’ve had medical grade plastic syringes degrade and form cloudy streaks in 25 individual grams of terped disty before; glass syringes or bust. But, I’d say iso if it actually got milky. Also, I like to use an adjustable micro liter pipette, they have disposable nozzles/tips!

Team desperate for some help
I did my first SPD run and the distillate was really clear
So decided to cut it with wax liquidizer and terps
to make a gram I weighed 0.7g disty
0.3g of wax liquidiser and 0.05g of OG terps .so as %wt 70/30/5 , the clarity was good , viscosity was good and it tasted well in a cart .
I then proceeded to scale it up into the 109g of disty I had ( now this is where I fucked up )
I never had enough wax liquidizer left so decided to make the weight up with
70/30 VG /PG and now the finished product is cloudy when in a cart and more viscous .
Any ideas on how I clean it up .
I’m presuming running it through the SPD would work would there be any other options to try just to get the VG/PG out
Thanks for any advice

Never done it but theoretically you could with pg and vg but you don’t know what’s in your dilutant

I think from what I’ve read wax liquidizer contains PEG ,

1 Like

Polyethylene Gylcol is a polymer and comes in different chain lengths, without knowing that or knowing if it’s mixed chains or even other compounds added which is likely, it’s a toss up.

Best thing to do, in my opinion, is just get rid of them as is, with the customer knowing what’s in it. Yes it’ll be harder but your not giving someone some random stuff you concentrated or even created as you don’t know what’s in it and what will react with what at high temperatures.

1 Like

Good point , thanks for you help , yes wax liquidizer contains blends of PG peg 200 and peg 400 , if the temps are going to cause a possible issue then it’s best letting it go as is . And learning from my mistake

I’ve just made up 2 carts one with an extra 10% of wax liquidizer and one with 15% extra both seem clear , panic over thank fuck , the VG / PG is getting binned , wax liquidizer expensive but good , will look into a good grade of MCT in the UK if that’s a good replacement

Vg, pg, ams oil, mobile 1, TT, it’s all the same garbage.

I did start to wonder if it was this after I made this post.

Moisture/water will cause it to turn milky, i have seen buddies entire liters turn milky from a few drops of water.

1 Like

That fake honeycut stuff turns cloudy once terps or cut is added to it

Not necessarily true. Sure initially it is a little cloudy when first added to dist, but once mixed that cloudiness goes right away.