Distillate test machine

Does anyone know of the machine one can buy to test the levels of metals in dist… Someone online recently said they had a machine that only a few hundred dollars and it tested the amounts/levels of metals in dist. Simple answer back is a link to the product. I know everyone in here lives to play super scientist and all. Just simple answers, no need to prove anything to me.Thanks

1 Like

ICP-MS is what you need.

4 Likes

whats the unit that does the potency called?

Potency can be done on a few different instruments, but its usually a GC-MS or a LC-MS

1 Like

liquid or gas chromatography mass spectrometer? im not familiar with the abriviations

Yup exactly that! The icp-ms is Inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry

1 Like

Heavy metals: ICP-MS or ICP-AES ($100-250K)
Residual solvents: Headspace-GC-FID or Headspace GC-MS ($40-120K)
Pesticides: LC-MS/MS and GC-MS/MS (you can do most with LC-MS/MS, but to reach the limits mandatory by some states, you will also need an GC-MS/MS for a handful of pesticides that are difficult with LC-MS/MS) ($200-350K for LC-MS/MS, $100-250K for the GC-MS/MS)
Terpenes: GC-FID or GCMS ($15-30K)
Cannabinoids: HPLC with UV detection ($20-50K

4 Likes

imo you’re not going to get much in the way of sensitivity for “a few hundred dollars”.

it also doesn’t seem to be a huge problem. usually

1 Like

I’ve seen lead in domestic isolate… Not unsellable levels but also makes me worry a lot about foreign stuff… The thing about heavy metal contamination is it can have big spikes so one bag could have zero lead and the next way to much, so lots of testing is good

1 Like

I hear microwave digestion technology can be used and converted to test heavy metals, I have no background or tried it. I have tried microwave distillation for terpenes before tho.

If I make some money I’m getting myself a used 30 year old shimadzu hplc. I think I can get one up and running for under$7000. Column, detectors, software and all.

1 Like

Won’t get you heavy metals. Should get you potency. Might even get you some pesticides if you know what you’re looking for.

Why not just establish an effective method of removing heavy metals from your extract and just run that procedure on any crude that touches your hands.

Why not look into how a vegetable oil refinery accomplishes this effectively on a large scale?

2 Likes

That’s brilliant, I can do my small batches for less than the price of one test

What I’ve read on the subject is that bentonite clay is effective for the treatment of heavy metals from vegetable oil when the solvent used is hexane. You could substitute the hexane for any other alkane and a bed of bentonite will adsorb the heavy metals from the solution.

1 Like