Distillate process help please!

show us where you have temp probes.

if you’re ONLY using the thermocouple in the mantle, then the issue is you need to go higher than your desired boiling point in order to REACH your boiling point.

ideally you’d grok that deltaT is required for heat exchange.

this might help: Heat Transfer L32 p1 - Log Mean Temperature Difference - YouTube

ok, your mantle SAYS it’s at 200C.
why would your boiling flask be? (evaporative cooling?!?)
is glass a great conductor? (nope!)
have you any independent way of validating that 200C?

try boiling water in it at atmosphere to truly wrap your head around this one!!!

bet you’ll have to go above 100C to get the job done…and will get there WAY faster if you set the mantle to 200C (try setting it at 100C and 200C. note where it actually gets)

2 Likes

Yes a topic worth exploring certainly

ok i get what your trying to explain, would you happen to have any tips or tricks/advice other than your stated comparison to boiling water…?

thank you for your time, im not being a smart ass. i appreciate the help greatly.

I can heat the mantle to red hot. What temp will the water in there be as it boils at atmosphere?

Not about boiling water…but it IS about BOILING.

This is the part you need to wrap your head around. Shows the boiling point at various vac levels…

Can you explain how that is relevant?

Can you use it to guesstimate the upper bound on your boiling flask temp if your vac gauge was correct?

Did you answer any of my questions?!?

Eg:Where are your temp probe(s)?
How do you know the temp in your flask?

Did you watch the lecture on deltaT

What temp SHOULD water boil?

How could use that to confirm or deny that your mantle agrees with the rest of us on that subject?

Doing so will ALSO demonstrate how the mantle temp and the boiling flask differ.

Set the mantle temp to 100C, and see how long it takes to boil.

Set it to 200C and do the same test.

Unless you truly understand that, I suggest you try it, so that you do understand it.

Because distillation is about boiling THEN about condensation. you didn’t get your cannabinoids hot enough to boil, and you need to understand why (or not, you could just turn the heat up and it will work…)

2 Likes

that pic is gold. it’s so beautiful I just printed it out to tape to my wall.

I mean, you could sing them the song of Clausius and Clapeyron but I digress

1 Like