Distillate microwave

Anyone have a model recommendation for a good distillate microwave? Almost broke the one in my kitchen, so I think it’s time for a dedicated one

1 Like

Im just curious what would make a microwave “good” for heating distillate? Don’t be putting the whole mason jar in there and leaving the metal lid on haha.

4 Likes

All microwave guts are made by a single supplier. Get the cheapest microwave that you can. You don’t need all the auto sensors and junk right?

Edit: also don’t fuck with the guts, the capacitor can kill you.

5 Likes

Ripped an hdpe cutting board from st vinnie’s to get a flat surface

Added another set of feet so the door opens properly.
Salvaged from something or other at the recycling center…

13 Likes

With my current microwave, I kept it to short bursts but I still overheated the guts. Wouldn’t turn on for an hour or so, then started working again

Glorious, I will be copying this for sure. Thank you

1 Like

Flipping the microwave was best trick @cyclopath ever shared to me for such a simple trick…what use to take hrs if I had disty would take no more than 5min 30sec burst and doesn’t change fhe color

2 Likes

@StoneD Would take you longer because you were splitting the disty into multiple smaller jars that would fit in the microwave?

1 Like

this microwave also sat outside for a month one summer in a shop sale from next door. Ieventually saw it and took it inside to try my go at melting crystalized cbd. From day one i threw it on its side to fit large jars and its never let us down.

4 Likes

A small cheap vac oven works great, too. Leave it at 130-140f and you can store your jars in there until you need to use them. The heat, in a sealed jar, will also help prevent it from oxidizing while stored. Most of my jars that I would put in there would begin to get a ring, then it would go away and they would stay normal. Also, I do put the jars under vacuum and seal them when not in use.

Screenshot_20230125_090312_Photos
I can put metal in my kitchenaid microwave oven. As long as the jars are not to close they wont arc. The microwave has a sticker inside on the metal shelf that says so. It has to sit on plastic anchors to keep it from arcing off the wall the shelf sits on.

I found as long as everything seperated 1 inch there is no problem. I have microwaved 5 jars at a time. Lids on

1 Like

I’m confused I flip the microwave on the door hinge side open the door and set an entire L in there when I was doing it. Like 30sec burst I think…put some gloves on in case to hot but it’ll turn it all liquid quick…couple mins instead half hr or more

Are you guys heating distillate in the microwave with lids on? I always took the lids off but now I’m thinking that was misguided. I’m using media bottles and I believe the cap is polypropylene.

I fucking love microwaves. Few reasons:

HERF cannons

Terpene extraction

Not-too-high-temp Solvent heating (coffee cup, zip lock with a vapor crack)

Panasonic microwaves can turn up and down their magnetron. Most other microwaves adjust power by turning the magnetron on and off at intervals.

Most wooks fear them, even if just heating water

• Above activities may blow a door off into your face. YMMV
3 Likes

Know this has been said before but I’ll never forget that story someone posted about the microwave door blowing open and hitting them in the head. Like a scene straight out of Home Alone or something.

I’ve never had anything that bad happen but that flash boil is scary as hell.

2 Likes