Distillate in trap, any advice?

Can anyone help me theoretically understand why my cold trap keeps taking distillate?
Currently performing a second pass on some dark distillate.
Mantle is around 190-200c
Head was at 165 but lowered it to 150c once I see this in my trap, which is the color I’m trying to aim for but…

My understanding from hot condensing tek is that I want the mantle to be higher than the head so the head can “catch” between the respective temps right?
So if I lowered my head temps it wont run straight through the monocal into the trap right?

My round bottom keeps collecting alot of heads I believe being this dark

My vaccum level varies from 150-90 micron.
Thanks in advance for the help and knowledge :pray:

boy what a shocker

Condenser (heat transfer) - Wikipedia.

condenser condenses. when you have it set at just about the same temperature as the fraction coming over, it is no longer functioning as a condenser.

Ask yourself, what is the purpose of the condenser, and how does it work?
Answer: to condense your fraction, so it doesnt get sucked too far (into your pump). as for how, well, as you should know, its using temperature differences. temperature, think energy, the molecules get excited, they go from a liquid state (tightly arranged) to a gas (much more space between them) and then work to fill the space that they can (your still). the thc (as a gas) travels up, bangs a right, and hits a cooler area (your condenser) at which point it loses energy, and returns to a liquid. if the delta (change) in temperature is not sufficient, you wont condense everything. its gonna keep traveling as a gas, till it hits a place with lower energy (your cold trap) and is able to condense.

long story short, distill properly (text book, wikipedia, youtube) and you wont have any issues.
if you want more theoretical fire away

3 Likes

What would you say is the ideal condenser temperature range for a “normal” distillation at around 20-50 microns?

1 Like

Ok vac level
Mantel temp or in side the boiling flask temp ?
Head temp ?
Condensor temp
By wich way is the condensor heated ?
Liquid or heat tape ?

If head is at 160 mantel at 200 those are heads with a vac level above 100 mic
And yes if you lower your condensor the material will go to the cow flask

To me it looks that the first pass was done at a bad vacuum and a leak inside your vapor path having isomerized plenty those are now your heads and your mains will show around 180C

1 Like

You don’t necessarily have control over the head temp without being relative to vac levels and mantle temps. Are you referring to your condenser temp as your head temp?

I run my condenser at 40C, but I am not running hot condenser tek. If I increase my condenser even to 55C, my cold trap will clog

1 Like

40c fluid temp? Shit I run 85c and I still need to hit the head with a heat gun or it clogs during mains.

1 Like

I start to clog near the tails, but never in golden mains

I’m sorry, mantle temp or inside?
I have the mantle set at 200 and it reads at most 205 on the mantle with the probe inside the rbf.
Thank you, I’ll be changing the vaccum oil asap.
Yes the to both (@CokeyoDrips) of you head=condenser (still getting the nomenclature down) is heater with duratherm/liquid.
Clog with mains?
When you say isomerized @Roguelab do they turn to head not being able to go back to mains or just having to run it again?

Any difference between running it hot or cold? Condensing temps?