Distillate help needed

Can I recommend you not suggest things you haven’t done or understand before? Not trying to hate but misleading readers into thinking they could fix something with a process you havent done before is or understand well enough to give advice is setting people up for failure.

Yeah technically you can do it but its going to be a more advanced than a standard LLE and i dont think the OP is up for it or even a standard LLE.

3 Likes

I’m surprised no one has suggested filtering hot over a small amount of carbon.

1 Like

burnt Terps. another pass through a short path would help, but I know you said you dont have one.
Vac oven turned up to like 200F maybe? Never done that myself but I think that, another pass in the short path, or some sort of LLE are probably your only options.

What sort of tooling you reckon that would require?

You mean like what equipment to use? Buchner, or if that’s not working because the temps need to be higher a ss tube with a sintered disc and some positive pressure. Maybe wash the carbon afterwards with a little ethanol to be sure you didn’t lose anything. Could even go the centrifuge route with a good basket and some low micron cloth I’d imagine.

Yeah. What would be the low tech way to achieve?

You want to be in the 90-120C range I imagine, I would add the carbon and stir. Mag stir plate would be great, but double boiler and a :spoon: should suffice.

Getting the carbon out doesn’t sound like a plastic buchner trick, but a ceramic one could be warmed in an oven and might get the job done. Stainless and +ve pressure would certainly increase the likelihood of recovering most of the input, but it still seems like a long shot. Heat gun would be required.

also carries possibility of making things worse imo.

1 Like

Definitely don’t want to add it if you aren’t sure you can get it back out. I’d probably try any method first on a very small amount of the product in question to be sure whatever method was chosen didn’t ultimately make things worse.

Sounds like your being over critical and your smelling the lipids that are the canabinoids themselves . Its a dry oil smell .like most processed oils theres a light smell leftover . If your coa says 90% just cart it up. Yiur color will only get darker as you mess with it. Without a shortpath any lle is useless for disty.

2 Likes

Heat and carbon chances are all turns to D8

3 Likes

I’ve had really good luck with putting the jar under super deep vacuum and 90-100c

It might take a day or two, but a bunch of the junk will fly off.

3 Likes

You’ll need a bit more heat for heavy isomerization I’d imagine. I’m suggesting enough heat to get it to pass through the filter aids, not even close to vaporization temperatures.

It s the activated carbon used that can cause isseus some are neutral and can be used in the distillation flask at high temps
Some are accitic and can get you in trouble quiet quick
So neutral hardwood AC would be my recommendation and NOT cheap aquarium
AC Wich is often accitic in nature

4 Likes

I suppose I should specify, but yes I’m always referring to neutral hardwood carbon when suggesting carbon as an adsorbant.

2 Likes