Diffusion Pump - Video

Super helpful video in understanding the principal of operation for diffusion pumps.

14 Likes

Great video! I’ve never seen a glass bodied diff pump before, makes for a pretty neat demonstration

4 Likes

I intend on buy one of these, they are around 600 USD.
I want to use it on a 2L short path.

5 Likes

Seal your system well and you will make killer disty on a 2l SPD

4 Likes

Thank you for posting!

3 Likes

Sweet bong bro

3 Likes

Where functional and aesthetic intersect…

Beautiful apparatus thanks for sharing!

@Rowan brought a similar piece to the GLG Bay Area meetup Mosaic held in Castro Valley last year

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5GUA2jB0ZB/?igshid=w7i07g9ybb22

2 Likes

www.amazon.com/Four-stage-Vacuum-Glass-Diffusion-L-2213/dp/B07MK16SSB/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=diffusion+pump+glass&qid=1599722049&sr=8-1

This is what i was thinking of buying.

1 Like

I still have that glass HS Martin pump that is an absolutely stunner available for sale if you’re interested

1 Like

One day ! I have to buy " stuff " …
For the last 3 weeks , all i have done is buy stuff to process crude lol.
It must stop for a little while so i can build up a balance.
Then i can spend again :laughing:

I have to get one… I think it will be a much better option to use the shitty pump i have with diffusion pump ,500 USD.
Rather than 3000 USD for a welch. As i said before, its only being used on a 2L short path, so if my understanding is correct it should be ok.

lol, i just found this … 150 USD !
https://www.ebay.com/itm/H-S-Martin-Pyrex-Oil-Diffusion-Pump-35-25-Fitting/253765933859

1 Like

I think you’ll get more bang for your buck with this:

I’d bet you could hit 1 mtorr on your 2L SPD with that sucker (pun intended)

1 Like

Ok, this is the way forward !
I’m so glad that i can save 2500 on a pump because of this forum … :heart: :heart: :heart:

1 Like

There is an old design from a glassblower journal that we could probably make if people are interested in buying them. They do require a heating mantle to run them and the glass is pretty complicated. It would probably be roughly 1k just for the glass, and another $400-1000 for the mantle

2 Likes