Difficulty with my carbon scrub

Thanks, much appreciated!

I’ll try and clean up 30g of some crude and see what happens.

Yeah, i guess. I’m hopefully gonna get things better by adding some steps and products. Getting columbos master sop might help. Also gonna try making some d8 water clear.

I’m trying to decolor some bho with carbon mix I bought from an h shop wondering where I can find a step by step with heptane please any help out there?

I myself use 10:1 heptane to bho, mix carbon with solution. Mix at 38°c, and cool back to room temp. Then I run through a Celite pad in a buchner funnel, works out pretty good for me but I’m sure I am doing something a little off.

You da man bill!! Appreciate you

1 Like

How to you purge it? I have a vac oven and cold trap?

I use a rotovap to reclaim the heptane.

Where did you get 2 kilos for 50? I just paid 62 for 1kg ln Amazon lol.

Is the activated magnesium silicate labsociety sells the same as standard old fryer oil filter powder sold to fast food companies?

@Demontrich thanks for the ebay link. 2kg for 50 bucks!

3 Likes

Have any of you guys tried Miracle filter powder which is food grade magnesium silicate

Is this basically RSO vs CO2?

Ive heard the Magnesium silicate for PR is like heated at some stupid temp like 675c which makes it able to filter the pesticides. I heard the miracle filter powder does not work the same. People were just talking about this on IG today or yesterday. maybe @Shadownaught could chime in…

1 Like

There is only one type of Mag Sil effective for pesticides, PR Grade…which means activated at 675C. If it is not activated at that temp it is NOT pesticide residue grade. There is one other high temp Mg-Si, A grade activated at 650c. The EPA pesticide method we refer to, 3620C, specifically states A Grade is not appropriate for pesticide clean up.

There’s another name for mag Sil cooked at lower temp, Talc Powder(also Talcum). Don’t get fooled into believing anything else regarding MagSilPR

9 Likes

What does the celite do that the carbon does not during the scrub?

The celite effectively filters the carbon from the solution

4 Likes

Buchner funnel, frotted disc or paper, celite 545, alumnium oxide

I am running my carbon over a 5 micron frit. little to no carbon gets through. Would you say the celite would be obsolete in this case?

Correct

it removes carbon fines by filtration.

1 Like

Anyone have a vendor for small amounts of AC? I’m looking to pick up a kilo but I just realized I paid $50 for half a kilo with BVV when I was first getting set up and that sounds pretty god damn steep. USA labs doesn’t have any on their site. I found this on amazon, but it doesn’t have the grain size listed. I know my BVV carbon was 100 mesh.

https://www.amazon.com/Carbon-Powder-Activated-Charcoal-100/dp/B00QFQZ8SW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1543953502&sr=8-5&keywords=activated+charcoal+powder+100+mesh

I bought mine from @LabSociety It was like $40 a Kg. I originally used Darco Activated Carbon Powder from Thomas Scientific

Edit…i guess it was $45 a lb sorry

1 Like