Difficulty with my carbon scrub

Marvelous explanation, thank you!

It seems finding a source for celite 545 and having it shipped w/o a business addy is near impossible. Anyone have a line? Amazon has a 4-6 week wait before it even ships

Celite is a brand name of diatomaceous earth, I’m using some DE typically used in pool filtration with success. Brewing supply stores would have some as well. Make so to physically compact the filter cake when you prepare it, and wash it thoroughly with your solvent until it runs clear. I recommend a layer of AC on top as well

1 Like

Thanks again @Soxhlet

50.00 for 2 kilos

Done and done

2 Likes

Here’s the after for anybody interested.
@Soxhlet @Demontrich
Thanks again for the tips @Soxhlet!

4 Likes

I have a 185mm buchner and trying to find something that is submicron seems somewhat hard. I posted about possibly using a ss column for mag sil and now i found 0.1 and 0.45 micron pes filters that are 90mm. I’m thinking of maybe using that in a 3" tube. How deep of a cake would you make if you are trying to filter 5 gal in one go. Would it even be possible? Celtie 545 seems to be a months or two get, so i have some time. Hahaha.

@Soxhlet
Threw me a lifesaver yesterday. Much appreciated, again.

Heres what i bought. 80% cheaper than most lab providers list at. And NO BS hazmat commercial addy only shipping crap to deal with.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/CELITE-545-Diatomaceous-Earth-Diatomite-Filter-Aid-Water-Pool-Solvent-Oil-40-2-Kg-41-/173414193096?txnId=1884711490007#vi__app-cvip-panel

2 Likes

No longer availble from the provider. The hunt continues. First i need to see if i can get the pes filters to work. Found 0.1, 0.2, 0.33 in 90mm. Gonna try them all to figure out flow rate and such.

Maybe @Soxhlet will kindly throw out another bone. Or contact seller and see if/when any more incoming not, I’m always willing to help someone in need out. I can send some of its permitted and not against the forums tou

You guys have already largely hit this point but I came to back it, from my knowledge/experience, I’ve only seen AC help with color when it is chlorophyll related. I have used bleaching earths from Clariant with good success, they help the amber issue and can also help in pesticide removal if that is an issue you have. Last time I spoke with them they were working on a cannabis specific blend, not sure where that stands today, they were very helpful over the phone and via email with sending samples and figuring out what might work best for us. You will want want Celite to help filter out the bleaching earths.

Check out the pic I posted a couple replies up, i successfully removed removed the amber pigment with AC and the resulting oil came out a nice golden-orange

1 Like

Sweet! Glad that worked out for you, looks nice! Is that the end product or still with ethanol?

That was in ethanol. Here’s a blurry side by side of standard co2 oil and my decolored batch

1 Like

That’s very nice. I don’t know if I’m chasing this issue with the redness to much or not. Gonna try and find celite and pes filters to use in my application. My degummed second passes are turning out very clear, so I’m pursuing that atm. Need mag sil for pest remediation, so getting the extra pieces should yield pretty much transparent product in a cartridge.

Edit: gonna look up clariant aswell. I have cbleach, but due to incorrect info i didn’t know my slow filters weren’t submicron, so silica made its way through.

1 Like

If clarity is all you’re after AC helps significantly with that as well, and in smaller ratios than required for decoloring. If decoloring+clarity is the desire I recommend winterizing at least twice to remove as much lipids/waxes as possible, as these take up space in the adsorption capacity of the AC. Winterizing only once and then AC scrubbing won’t decolor very much, unless you use about a 1:1 ratio of AC to extract, but it will clear it up quite nicely by removing more of the undesirables. That golden batch I did was winterized 3 times while I had nothing better to do while waiting for my DE to arrive. I’ll be finishing a batch tomorrow that only got winterized once and I’ll post pics

3 Likes

These are tails and main from the degummed batch. Hoping to get an as good product i can get. I’ve mainly had issues with what it looks like in the full jars due to it being dark in larger volumes.Uploading…

@Steviewonder
Are you noticing any ac fines in your filtered etoh? I read a post the other day about ac fines in the etoh after filtration.

I have 3 fritted buchner funnel setups. Ac, alumn oxide 220g, and celite 545 filter agents. I’m not sure if I should do each filtration separately? 1st I’ll do a AO, then do a bottom layer celite 545 then a top layer of ac in a new buchner funnel.

I have a few weeks before I get some bulk trim to play with at will.

@Demontrich the celites job is to stop the AC from getting through, dont try scrubbing without it. Sometimes the first filtration has some fines, but I believe its DE fines not AC, and I just refilter it and it comes out clean. Not sure about the alum oxide, never used it myself. I make a half inch celite cake on top of my medium frit, compact and wash it with etoh til til the runoff has no particulates, then add another 1/3 inch AC on top. I add AC directly to my solution and heat it at 65C for 30 min. Then I let it cool prior to filtration.

3 Likes

@Renchi it’s pretty much always gonna look like that in large volumes as far as I’m aware, unless it’s as clear as distillate

I will say, when I have the money I’m looking at getting a .45 micron pes filtration setup through sterlitech. Didn’t know about it til after I went down this route