Difficulty with my carbon scrub

I use a rotovap to reclaim the heptane.

Where did you get 2 kilos for 50? I just paid 62 for 1kg ln Amazon lol.

Is the activated magnesium silicate labsociety sells the same as standard old fryer oil filter powder sold to fast food companies?

@Demontrich thanks for the ebay link. 2kg for 50 bucks!

3 Likes

Have any of you guys tried Miracle filter powder which is food grade magnesium silicate

Is this basically RSO vs CO2?

Ive heard the Magnesium silicate for PR is like heated at some stupid temp like 675c which makes it able to filter the pesticides. I heard the miracle filter powder does not work the same. People were just talking about this on IG today or yesterday. maybe @Shadownaught could chime in…

1 Like

There is only one type of Mag Sil effective for pesticides, PR Grade…which means activated at 675C. If it is not activated at that temp it is NOT pesticide residue grade. There is one other high temp Mg-Si, A grade activated at 650c. The EPA pesticide method we refer to, 3620C, specifically states A Grade is not appropriate for pesticide clean up.

There’s another name for mag Sil cooked at lower temp, Talc Powder(also Talcum). Don’t get fooled into believing anything else regarding MagSilPR

9 Likes

What does the celite do that the carbon does not during the scrub?

The celite effectively filters the carbon from the solution

4 Likes

Buchner funnel, frotted disc or paper, celite 545, alumnium oxide

I am running my carbon over a 5 micron frit. little to no carbon gets through. Would you say the celite would be obsolete in this case?

Correct

it removes carbon fines by filtration.

1 Like

Anyone have a vendor for small amounts of AC? I’m looking to pick up a kilo but I just realized I paid $50 for half a kilo with BVV when I was first getting set up and that sounds pretty god damn steep. USA labs doesn’t have any on their site. I found this on amazon, but it doesn’t have the grain size listed. I know my BVV carbon was 100 mesh.

https://www.amazon.com/Carbon-Powder-Activated-Charcoal-100/dp/B00QFQZ8SW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1543953502&sr=8-5&keywords=activated+charcoal+powder+100+mesh

I bought mine from @LabSociety It was like $40 a Kg. I originally used Darco Activated Carbon Powder from Thomas Scientific

Edit…i guess it was $45 a lb sorry

1 Like

I wonder what is so different about the stuff from Lab Society and BVV that justifies selling it for twice the price?

Hit up @Shadownaught. I think he can get you a better deal.

2 Likes

Unfortunately not at the quantity I’m looking for yet. I’m still in the R&D stage of my operation until I can get moved into a real facility come February, and funds are too tight to be buying anything more than I immediately need for the ~10 pounds of hemp I’m messing with. Hence why I’m being such a tightwad atm. But I suppose I’d rather spend the money upfront for AC I know will work than gamble on a $30 amazon special that might cost me more money and headache down the line. Just wondering what was so special about the AC that BVV and Lab Society sells that justifies the price. Other than being marketed to the cannabis industry…

1 Like

Pass it through the same layer of cellite twice

1 Like

10:1 heptane to crude , why heptane rather than eth ?

Heptane has a higher boiling point than ethanol. A lot of people like to do their scrubs at 90C, which you can do with heptane, but can’t with ethanol and it’s 78c boiling point (or 74c at my altitude).

1 Like