Diaphragm pump that can handle -80°C

Well I’m straight done with active. Going to try this magic :man_scientist: what buckets do you use for dry ice slurry and the bucket for which contains the ethanol? Stainless?

Galvanized works for a lot less

1 Like

Cool, definitely going to get this started within the next day or so

1 Like

Brand and model of this pump ?

Yamada (Japan) NDP-20BSE - Stainless Steel with EPDM Diaphrams

2 Likes

Deleted

https://www.nboler.com/collections/all/products/explosion-proof-transfer-pump-pneumatic

It’s centrifugal, but it’ll go down to -100C. I still can’t figure out who makes these but the gals n guys @N.B.OLER seem to keep them in stock.

10 Likes

I was thinking about ordering this pump. Do you have any experience with it? Is it being centrifugal a positive, negative, or neutral aspect of this pump? Sorry, I’m not entirely versed in pump pros and cons.

1 Like

I don’t have experience with this pump, or any air-driven centrifugal pump, but it says it can flow up to 18GPM with 1ft of head pressure, maximum head pressure is 50ft (about 21 psi).

2 Likes

march TE-5K-MD-AM

7 Likes

Should have known they’re charging 3x the value of the pump itself.

Awful.

@N.B.OLER care to make a case for yourself?

Edit: you’re a hero I’ve been looking for these forever.

7 Likes

I just found that pump online for $573

Nboler is asking 3x the regular price

7 Likes

I can get a liquid transfer pump where I’m at till Monday if it’s not gone by then if anyone needs it, can be n2 swept as well to move faster with gas assist

From my experience the diaphragm will freeze the air spool or air muffler before the diaphragms will not cycle.

You must have super dry air to run a air driven pump to cryo temps.

3 Likes

They do make screw compressors that don’t create water

1 Like

Compressing air always condenses water, those screw compressors just have air dryers built into them. Same thing can be implemented on any type of compressor (just informative, not trying to step on toes or anything)

7 Likes

This is expert advice right here.

Spend the extra money on an air dryer or feel the pain down the road!!!

Edit: like @SidViscous said even the screw type compressors will create some moisture. I had a badass Sanyo compressor that made pharmaceutical grade air and still passed it through an air dryer and 0.1micron filter.

At the end of each shift it would auto-piss some moisture.

3 Likes

Ahh, I’m not that versed, so I appreciate the lesson. Good to know :slight_smile:

1 Like

And a further note: IME the air dryers built into most screw compressors (Atlas Copco, Kaeser etc) are always a little undersized. Fine for running air tools or Haskel pumps but for critical applications like this you’d definitely want an additional dryer. Membrane dryers are actually getting pretty good for this kind of thing

4 Likes

Where can I get this?

3 Likes