Cold ethanol pumps

Revisiting this topic. We bought a cryo chiller from Telemark (local here in Battle Ground, WA) and will be chilling a jacketed 30 gallon ethanol tank with the chiller, then we are wanting a pump to pump that ((-80c) - (-10c) depending on desired end product) ethanol through the OUTER jackets of our ETS MEP hydrocarbon machine (material columns, dual recovery coil, injection coil, solvent tank). We would be leaving the whole system on, chilling, and circulating, for 24 hours a day 5 days a week. Any suggestions on pumps that could handle this? Willing to spend if we have to, so far we have been looking at the @N.B.OLER pump that I had seen posted on here before. Any suggestions and help would be awesome, thank you!

1 Like

needs to be C1D1.

Nope. We can do -40F/C.

Thank you for the reply. So after speaking with ETS for a system our size they recommended something along the lines of 40gpm+ flow rate and 5kw+ power, so it looks like we will be going with Viking.

2 Likes

Good call! -80C rated for continuous duty.

1 Like

Thanks @TheGratefulPhil

Apologies if it’s already mentioned upthread

4 Likes

Wow well that will do it! I don’t know how i ever missed that.

2 Likes

I’ve been running this durostar dstp15-ac for over a month now. DI/ethanol slurry in a chopped hot water tank from the scrap heap. Circulates to a 200lb jacketed tank and takes about 30 minutes to get down. I have a basic mesh hose filter hooked on the pump inlet line. Thing works like a champ for 150-200$.

10 Likes

Glad somebody said this…

4 Likes

How far away is your 200 lb jacketed tank? Im in the process of trying to do somthing similar. I want to find somthing safe that will get the job done but doesn’t cost a small fortune. Are you able to get the jacketed tank down to -30 -40?

The pump is still working great processing 100lbs/wk. Gets to -40 in under an hour but can chew through 100lbs+ of ice if you run it all work shift. Throw in a 5-10lb mesh bag of 3A mol sieve balls to keep the ethanol-water goo down. My tank is on the other side of that wall, 5ft ish.

1 Like

Oops lol

We have a pump for sale.

Talk about muff.

But seriously, who spec’d that muffler, never seeen such a large one on a 1” AODD pump before.

1 Like

I think it may be way over kill for my needs. I only have a 200 lb jacketed tank im trying to chill. Prob gonna build some type of 1/2" stainless coil and pipe it into a custom box thats insulated. 18 gallons per min seems to be alot. Ill look into a little and shoot you a PM. Thanks for the offer :+1:

you wanna fix that link for us?

1 Like

Is that pump still working great?

Would that pump go well for long hour usage everyday to chill tanks and heat exchangers from a dry ice slurry? If it can handle those temps, and having no priming issues, I’m thinking it should be able to continuously run at cold temps to replace a chiller for recovery.

I wouldn’t recommend it for just about anything unless you know you will never need to prime it. It’s a pain in the ass to prime. I would maybe use it at the bottom of a reservoir but doesn’t have much pumping strength.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. The priming part wouldn’t effect me, but the actual flow rate would.