Diamond forming

Did a live run w Fresh frozen using 70/30 b/p mix. Did not do a cold crash. Let the jars gass off for a bit till .5 the solvent was gone. Poured into jars and started to see the thca clouds in the jar. I have it capped sitting in the oven at 78° f but the clouds of thca clouds went away. I’m 24hrs in. Any advice to get formations? I have no seeds.

It takes a while to start to form…
How much solvent is left? Saying it was half of what it was doesn’t really explain much… if it is liquid with lots of solvent left then it will take longer for it to form….

3 Likes

Thank you Joe!

2.5lb fresh w 12lb tane mix
Pour wet ~750ml
Capped at ~300ml
Sat in oven 24 hrs at 78f, no vac
Not gooey but runny

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more data points.

What’s that in the bottom of ur jar? Do I not see crystals forming?

9 Likes

That’s what I thought too!

1 Like

Post more pics because it looks like you already have formations

2 Likes

They disappeared when I put them in the oven. I mixed 2 jars and the formations appeared (jar was very low). Put in oven and they disappeared

Have you calibrated your oven? I would double check that it wasnt so warm it metled everything back into one homoegenous mix.

2 Likes

Were they kinda odd shaped and not like a normal diamond everyone else gets

1 Like

Yes. They looked snotty. Here is a pic post evap and cap. I’m at 3k ft elevation

The first pic is from post pouring of marrying 2 jars. The diamond looking formations immediately formed. I put it in the oven and it disappeared.

The second pic is from initial pour off waiting on evap and prior to capping. You can see little cloudy snot balls form immediately. No vac on oven. Lids on tightly.

So you had enough solvent that the solvent wasn’t super saturated still and you dissolved them back into it.

Looks to me like you are getting where you want to go - just needs more time. Crystals disappear all the time. You probably already know this but in case you do not:

You can control how things form by changing temperature/pressure and saturation levels, as well as controlling evaporation rate (by changing temp/pressure).

You can speed things up by getting through nucleation faster via using seeds.

The ratio of what is in your mix is important as well - the crystals will look different and form at different rates based on how much THCa and other things are present in your solvent.

The mixture and ratio of your solvent also impacts this - since that also changes your super saturation levels, evaporation rates, and can even change the shape of your crystals (or agglomerates…) based on the chemical potential of the other things in your mix.

In any case - it looks like you are getting there. Give it more time and heat it slower until you get there. Doing what @HydrocarbonaMarvin said and making sure that your oven temp is what it says it is helps too - sometimes less than 5 degree difference is enough to push you back to the beginning.

4 Likes

Thank you for the detailed response. Much appreciated. You def help calm my nerves.

We have a decent size seed from the jelly tech we did so I might add it to speed up nucleation. I’ll post back w results.

my suggestion would be to drop the temp a couple of degrees to increase the saturation level

1 Like

Dropped it to 72f