Dialing down temps closed loop

i chill my 30# solvent tank in slurry, inj coil in same, ,material column and collection, yes staying small makes it fairly easy for me.
I havent tried not chilling collection, id rather keep it all cold, use my N2, and when a small amount of heat is needed , I can get the solvent to go where I need it to
My idea is it moves easily on small scale, at lower pressures and temps, with small amount of n2 or heat, purge as necessary

3 Likes

The incoming gas cools the collection down quite rapidly. It’s not suggested but I just got tired of having to do it. Psi on the collection stays at 0 until the nitrogen finally gets to it.

1 Like

I’ve thought about this, and haven’t looked into it , the thought of a warm vessel, how much pressure do you push with this way?

1 Like

20psi. As soon as cold gas gets there it’s chilling it down. Not to -80 but cold enough at that point. And I don’t chill my solvent tank ever. Just using the coils. Way easier for weighing injection and recovery weight when the dry ice isn’t sublimating on the scale as well

5 Likes

Im sure i am overkilll, I’ll modify when I figure it out, I don’t want to have to use high pressures of n2 , 20-30psi I’m good, but no crc though

:man_facepalming:t2: you were asking @TwistedStill

Yeah, if you’re gas is super cold 20-30 psi will def do the trick. If I crc, I’ll roll it up to 30-40psi, depending on flow

2 Likes

I run passive, you run passive with warm tank, i’m confused, and recovery?

1 Like

I run from a warm tank into 100’ of injection coils.

I recover back through the 100’ of coil, so then the solvent thats in the tank is -70 to -80c sitting ready for the next pass. Then it goes back through the same 100’ of coil again on the next injection.

So it eats a lot of dry ice on the first pass, but second it’s negligible

6 Likes

That’s how I roll too

With no crc, I’ll use 30-40 psi. The pressure in the collection only rises when nitrogen gets into it, so I am able to use the nitro push to move most my butane into the warm collection. After burping nitro through my solvent tank, I isolate the material column from the collection, and apply a heating pad to the top half to the spool. While recovery is taking place, the heat pad warms the material column…the top half anyway…and creates positive pressure. With this pressure I burp the remaining tane into the collection.

I do like the idea of a coil though. I run a 10 lb stainless solvent tank. Its convenient enough to chill with dry ice and acetone. But if I step to a 25 lb tank I’ll have to run coils as chilling a 25 lb tank isnt really an easy feat for me.

2 Likes

I think that’s where the line is between being able to chill the tank efficiently in a slurry vs needing the coil. You can definitely do it, it’s just takes more dry ice and time to get that entire 25lb tank chilled.

2 Likes

Exactly. Fuck the wait…coil for the win lol.

I just can’t justify going to a 25lb tank. This is a hobby. It produces 0 income…I make meds for myself…so I want to play with bigger toys like most of you play with…but there isn’t a logical reason to do so. My capital is best spent on other shit…like a bulldozer or baby paraphernalia.

8 Likes

Just saying, I built a coil for 85 dollars. If you want you could always go that route with your 10lb tank

isee, well i use a 30# solvent tank, it may well be a 25#, the vendor said 30, i bury in dry ice and iso , i never take it out during any runs, i will sometimes only dry ice the solvent tank and use my coil in slurry w iso, as well as my column, slight temp differential my coil is 12" above my column so as some gravity may help with flooding, i use as little n2 as possible, usually pre charge my tank to +20psi from a full vacd tank with at least 8lbs of solvent in it

glad there’s someone else out there doing it on the 1-2 lb rig, good stuff fellas

1 Like

Where did op go? Did he have some better results? @Infuzion11

Nobody has mentioned the size and shape of your recovery/collection pot.

Tall and skinny gives more surface area to the solvent and recovers faster (6x36 jacketed spool) Short and fat (12×16 jacketed spool) gives you slower recovery

I have short and fat so if possible I start recovering before I fill up the collection pot with solvent. I try to fill it 10-20% and then recover at a rate that keeps it that full as I keep dumping more solution from the dewax/crc. When its dialed in i get more runs per day (using more dry ice because im recovering twice as long now per run) coupled with a slow flow thru the CRC to get max CR

1 Like

That’s where I’m at too, I want to upgrade to a stainless steel solvent tank, but don’t really need to. The 6# tank and the cooling coil I have now works well enough, but i don’t like having a carbon steel tank for solvent storage.

But at some point it just becomes a waste of money just because I want to play with a new toy lol.

Gotta balance the hobby with life, and it sucks balls!

2 Likes

how do you build your coil so cheap?

1 Like

Stainless wart chillers off Amazon. 50’ for $65
It’s probably more like 120 by the time I’m said and done, but that’s with 2- compression fittings, 2 valves as well a few stainless parts and a pressure gauge.

Depending on valve price, the sky’s the limit for the final product

https://www.amazon.com/NY-Brew-Supply-W3850-SSV-Stainless/dp/B07R62NCKB/ref=asc_df_B07R62NCKB/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=343191221038&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14597581229712440956&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1027654&hvtargid=pla-738279136759&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=74738717931&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=343191221038&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14597581229712440956&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1027654&hvtargid=pla-738279136759

3 Likes