Dialing down temps closed loop

Yes…?

So your recovering through the coils into your vessel correct? So the heated collection creates vapor pressure, which is condensed in the 100 feet of coils. Once liquid, the solvent is then pushed into the solvent tank by the vapor pressure in the collection pot? That’s fucking sweet. I’d need to add some valves and fittings to get some bi directional coils for injection and recovery going…but I think thats the ticket.

3 Likes

[Propane Butane Mixture - Evaporation Pressure](http://Vapor Pressure of Butane/Propane/Mixes)

A good way to conceptualize all this is by understanding that the path from point A to B to C to D to E to F (A: Solvent Tank, B: Injection Coil, C: Material, D: Collection, E: Injection Coil, F: Solvent Tank) is basically a series of pressure drops that must be overcome by either an outside force (nitrogen) or by passively flowing from areas of high pressure to low pressure. The latter is done by understanding that temperature drives the pressure difference.

So, ultimately, you can increase your recovery speed by heating the collection hotter or by cooling the solvent tank lower or both.

Something else to consider, if your recovery injection coil is colder than your solvent tank, it’s just going to trap a ton of LPG in there.

My opinion is leave the recovery/collection vessel at room temp. Chill the solvent tank as low as possible, push with nitro out of solvent thru injection coil into collection and then purge nitrogen and begin heating recovery while maintaining ultra low on solvent tank.

As several people have mentioned, vessel geometry is huge, if I lived in a perfect world my recovery would be similar to a hexapod from bizzybee. Skinnier collection vessels that are gassed into super cold solvent vessels and then manifolded into the bulk solvent tank.

4 Likes

Exactly!

Yeah, once I used this setup, I won’t go back. Even my small setup runs a lot better with a coil in it.

A coil and a sous vide cooker are great for recovery.

This guy has a horizontal setup that is :muscle:

1 Like

That’s how you get more vapor producing surface area to feed equipment, when your vapor is being uses as fuel…Which is why I was hung up on the vapor producing surface area in the first place.

I remember those pics…it looked like an 80ish gal horizontal collection. Fucking gnarly lol.

1 Like

Do you run nitrogen asssist? I’m curious how you bleed off the nitrogen without chilling your collection??

2 Likes

Bleed off? If the psi in the collection pot gets too high (over 10 for tane, 70/30 is much higher) then i just release pressure (N) right there. If the pressure is too high in the recovery tank, i release the pressure there.

If the pressure in the recovery tank is higher than the pressure in the collection pot then it will distill slowly. If your cold loop (DI submersion) isnt working cold enough it will go slow. Also if theres no heat on the collection pot then ure really banging ur head against a wall.

U need all of these things to work with one another. You have to find the sweet spots for your gear and tweak it. Use the widest bore u can for recovery.

3 Likes

Does wide bore matter for injection or just recovery?

1 Like

For recovery more than injection
The wider the bore the more can pass so for recovery the more gas gets to the condensing section or piston cavity
Asap the better
As for injection if all of the line is wide
It only speeds the time needed to inject
Wich in large rig s makes sense
So say you want to inject 150 #
It go s a lot faster usin a 1/2" hose then a 1/4" hose

2 Likes

I use 3/8” for injection lines and dual 1/2” recovery lines

4 Likes

Are you using 2 mol sieves or skipping that completely, what’s your recovery time like?

2 Likes

I haven’t been using mol sieves. I have them built and ready just in case. @J12 mentioned he wasn’t using them, so I figured I would give it a go. So far I’m not having any moisture issues. Color is still just like my first run.

I am recovering 40-45 lbs of butane in 25-30 minutes. It would be faster if I had a source of heat in my water bath.

I have been using a propane/iso blend.

It’s much slower with n-butane (maybe not if I had the appropriate heat in my water bath)

I will take a video during recovery next run.

2 Likes

It’s easier to condense butane than propane (less energy). As long as you’re heating it, it should haul ass with your set up.

3 Likes

@FicklePickle Once I get the setup for my water bath I will slowly swap back to N and let you know how it goes!

1 Like

Look at glacier tanks for a fully jacketed spool. Very affordable

2 Likes

That’s actually a way better option. Especially since I haven’t even been cooling my collection.

1 Like

Boom. I’ve got good ideas from time to time

2 Likes

Did you vacuum down your system pre-run?