Desiccant for drying

A colleague told me about a vitamin company he works with uses a desiccant to dry his thick produce to 8% in two days while maintaining nearly all the nutriants. How much interest would the community have in a desiccantt that can do this to cannibas crops?

3 Likes

A fair amount I imagine. Even if it’s just used to keep biomass dried while sitting around waiting extraction.

Cost, ability to dry/reuse, and appropriateness for food (which I’m guessing is covered) would be my questions

3 Likes

I will look into it further. Thanks.

1 Like

Like the gel we use to use in fla to dry the fun guys

3 Likes

Yeah, even someone doing things on the scale as small as I am could definitely use something like this.

I’m very curious.

Also, @AutomationGuy, you’re posting some interesting stuff. Welcome aboard!

1 Like

Can putting material in dry ice do this? A chemist by trade who is in the dry ice and consumables business for our industry told me he has customers that do this just to remove moisture. he also said an added benefit is it will kill all mold.

Thats legit.
When you say thick produce… are we talking, root veg thick, or like kale and cabbage?

To expand on @cyclopath comment, I think the interest may lay in the consistency and preservation of biomass that is in que once the “Croptober” bottle neck ties up processors.

My curiosity would be similar, although density of the product would be an added concern.
does the desiccant have an operational temperature range?

@AutomationGuy hasn’t been in since last April it looks like.

good call :wink:

1 Like

I was going to lead into my question of whether the desiccant operates under extreme cold. it seems like a few folks on the forum have been trying to figure out ways to scrub moisture off of dry ice frozen material

oh the wonderful world of desiccants

Been on covid related projects up to my eyeballs. Time to get back to the fun stuff!!!

1 Like

I tried drying bud with damp rid once long ago. It worked in the sense of removing moisture, but it affected the look of the trichromes, made them shrivel up too, I think. I only knew about damp rid from mushrooms, similar to the mention above.

They make industrial centitfical desiccant dehumidifiers that regenerate by “spinning” the water from the medium.

Generally that are used for peak loads of water vapor that would be difficult for a refrigeration style dehumidifier to deal with or when the air temperature must be keep lower than the condensation point of water.

1 Like