Denatonium Benzoate In Acetone

I’ve been using acetone from the hardware store to clean my glass and stainless for a while now when a friend recently mentioned that they add denatonium benzoate (bittering agent) to the hardware store variety. I haven’t had any issues, but I usually rinse with isopropyl and distilled water after the acetone rinse. Has anyone had issues with contaminating product with this? I’d imagine it would be really hard to remove if some residue got into an extract.

2 Likes

I use acetone all the time, I get my drums from Revchem a local fiberglass supplier. I clean everything with acetone then rinse with alcohol, I’ve never had any problems

1 Like

I’m wondering if the rinsing with alcohol has been ensuring neither of us have had an issue with bittering agent residue being left behind. A few years ago I know I had an issue when I did a very small kitchen extraction with denatured ethanol and the extract came out horribly bitter, which is why this information about it being in hardware store acetone alarmed me. But I’m assuming as long there’s an alcohol rinse after the initial acetone rinse, there shouldn’t be any issues. :man_shrugging:t3: