Demand for d9-remediated d8-THC?

Looking at what demand and price are for fully d9-remediated d8-THC, as demonstrated by the appropriate d8-associated analytical labs. I’ve heard from a couple associates that it’s sold as soon as it’s prepared, but figured I’d reach out and see from others.

I’ve heard rumors that unless it’s freshly remediated you’re gonna end up with D9.

3 Likes

Yep an interesting phenomena that I can t explain even in neutral even basic distillates
These damn molecules are starting to drive me nuts

1 Like

You mean in terms of - in the process of remediating/converting your residual compound to something else, that it’s a temporary process whereby the newly converted compound will degrade back into d9? Or?

In my findings yes it isomerized back to d9 in neutral conditions even in darkness so it s not light induced

Yep. Whack-a-mole(cule) style…

4 Likes

So essentially - as it stands right now - true remediation can only be expected to see success by way of reverse phase chrom, or other separatory techniques rather than conversion?

Even that is in the lime light for as far as my findings go the D8 molecule on it s own can swing back to D9 making it plausible that this phenomenon could even happen in chroma disty

1 Like

The ancient forum whackamole indeed.

Yes main culprit I think is heat when mixing in terpenes and working on a pid controled heating element

I flu&€:;! Hate pid controllers hate variac for life

Oh well that’s certainly a shock to me. Never would have expected that, and am a bit confused - that would imply degradation of a more stable compound (d8), back into a less stable compound (d9)?

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of stable d8.

I think it kinda oscillates a bit between different bonds? It’s got like a 98% chance to be d8 and 2% d9, and these things kinda move back and forth if they’re not a perfectly stable molecule.

3 Likes

I would definitely love to see some chromatograms of such phenomena as well. I have never witnessed d8 converting to d9. In my hundreds of chromatograms of d8 production I can consistently show the CBD->d9–>d8 pathway. The only time I have seen d9 increase has been when there was CBD remaining in the solution.

It just doesn’t make sense to me why it would want to go back up the thermodynamic hill when it could slide down to the more stable CBN.

6 Likes

That’s a nice description oscillation
Something’s happening that’s for sure
I Blame heat for we know that ptsa runs with heat change from full consumption of the D9 and then return 10 min later at 7 %
I also know that a heated sample of d8 prior to heating has different numbers after heating at 90 C for 30 min

1 Like

Reverse phase chromatography can separate D8 from D9, but normal phase is ideal for separating D8, D9, D8-iso-THC, and D4,8-iso-THC. Even if D9 is removed the synthetic byproducts should be, too.

Have you witnessed return of D9 in samples that where void of D9 before ?

We’ve read about it happening, but I haven’t analyzed materials to check.

This post is reminding me that we should definitely look into it again.

As you said earlier, these molecules are driving me nuts too. They’re unpredictable at times (hopefully more research helps this uncertainty) and imagine having to explain why we give out certain results when clients see something different on their HPLC.

1 Like

Feel sorry for ya :upside_down_face:
After thinking that tiba could isomerize cbd-a in decent yield I came to find out there is a coelution of trans thc on the D9 peak that only shows when hydrogenation is done on this thc-a isomerized product. Arggggg

4 Likes

Local minima….and Gaussian curve on kinetic energy…

turns out that hill is a two way street, down hill from the top in both directions. Yeah, it’s further down in one direction, but all else being equal, there is going to be an equilibrium between the two.

Your catalyst didn’t change that equilibrium, it changed the activation energy. so if you can’t get to less than 3% D9 before chromatography, why should you expect remediated D8 not to creep back to that ratio over time?

@Pyryn Figured it was news to you.

Also figured you should know…thanks @Roguelab for confirming my recollection. @tweedledew for the most digestible description.

@kcalabs serious slacking there :rofl::rofl:

7 Likes