Delta9 in crude

I have a customer that always has delta9 in their crude straight out of hydrocarbon extractor whether we are making crude for distillation, making diamonds/sauce, or going into an oven for making batter/sugar/shatter. It usually tests at 8-15% d9. In any of these processes purging techniques we don’t go over 80F yet this particular customer gets high levels of d9.

Using the same SOP, no other customer we run for has the same delta9 profile like this customer does. Most other customers come in at 0-2% delta 9 when it goes into testing (which it had under 800 ppm of butane).

Again, we run for 20 customers with relatively the same sop, but this one customer has 4-8x more decarboxylation than any other customer.

Any ideas on why this customer? Is it something they use in their cultivation process?

1 Like

My guess would be old material, not stored properly. Is it fresh, if not how old?

5 Likes

What’s the starting material testing at? Did you get a recent COA?

4 Likes

More likely their post harvest treatment than their cultivation…

Run through a drying machine would be my first guess…followed by, “last year?”

Testing the input would seem prudent.

If it’s actually decarbing in your process rather than theirs, then this gets interesting…

8 Likes

Let me check some COA’s and get back.

3 Likes

Check dates on those coas too and share that critical data point.

4 Likes

The oldest COA I noted was from may of 2020. Not terribly old but not new.

I also noticed that the trim/shake had lower delta 9 but the kief we received was 20% d9 and 20% thca. I’m not sure why the kief would be so much higher? Would microwaves decarb? I doubt it but just a thought in case the supplier is using it to kill microbials.

There are a shit ton of COA’s and different batches. I am going to put a team member on it come this week.

1 Like

I’m pulling up a chair to watch what happens. :wink:

Younger than 3 months = could be fresh, should be fresh.

Older than 3 months = only fresh if utmost care is taken. Most likely old (slightly decarbed)

Theres lots of factors but the smell of the trim should give it away, if it smells fresh and its older than 3 months they stored it great. If it starts to smell like popcorn or too peppery its probably atleast 3 months old.

Moisture helps the cannabinoids decarb, so if they had alot of moisture in the hash and let it sit, it could decarb.