Delta Separations CUP

I’m surprised to hear that charcoal is still needed after a run at those temps… Is the solvent being introduced pre-chilled to under -40 as well? Do you experience a significant change in the products appearance once spun at full speed? Have you experimented with different durations, temps, alcohol ratio’s? What are the avg yields in relation to starting material that you are seeing?

The only way to calculate your yield exactly is to have your trim tested first for THC, then run the material and test the alcohol solution and the trim after the run.

Even at -40 you will still pick up some of the unwanted color and odor. Our process is a little over kill, but I like oil I can see through. The colder you get your alcohol, the less work it will be for you to clean up the oil. When you get to the -50 to -60 range then there should be no need to carbon scrub, at that temp you can make ethanol shatter. To get that cold is very expensive. We like -40 to -50, it works well for us.

As far as time VS yield, we have run everything to a 10 minute run time to a 26 minute run time. We have found that the longer you run the more unwanted material come out of the trim and the trim will retain more alcohol. I think we finally have our run times and spin times perfect. The 10-12 minute wash time and 10 minute spin cycle has been working great for us. We are averaging a 8.2% yield from trim to distillate.

my spin cycle is as follows
I open the drain valve before I start the spin cycle and let some drain off on its own
400 rpm 1 minute
600 rpm 1 minute
900 rpm 3 minutes
900 rpm 5 minutes

I have a bench top THC testing unit on its way, as soon as I have that I will post data on time and temp VS THC content.

8 Likes

@TeachandTech thanks for sharing that!

Are you running a v1.0 or v1.2 CUP? I don’t know about the 1.0, but the 1.2 can be bumped to 1200rpm.

Can I convince you to also wander over here and tell us which system you chose for in house analytics?

the first post is a survey, which is probably not all that useful, but imo, everybody should be using something to monitor their progress…

Thanks so much for the info and the quick response. I look forward to checking out that data when you get it in. I just picked up my Delta 1.2 and should have it fired up next week once all the electrical gets wrapped up in the new facility.
I was wondering how significant of difference you saw in the required run time when you started dropping the temps down to -50/-60? I would like to avoid a secondary dewax and am still playing with varying parameters to do so. I had achieved it with dry ice and a bucket tek but scaling up always comes with new challenges…

Thanks again
:v:

no issues running the liquid nitrogen with the jacket? Is this why your dwell times increase with each bag or is that because of the solubility of the ethanol?

longer dwell is to compensate for the increasing saturation level of cannabinoids in the ethanol on subsequent passes over biomass.

if you haven’t read them already, I recommend

Ethanol Saturation
Bucket Tek (Cold Ethanol Extraction on a Budget)

5 Likes

What sort of chiller would you recommend for the North Star small unit to chill alcohol to -40c? Or would you recommend running the extraction at room temp and winterizing afterwards?

60lbs an hour bucket tec? that’s impressive! any interest in sharing your methods?

10lb in each batch. Soak 30lb total in same batch of ethanol. Takes 10mins to spin 10lb. So every 10 mins should be 10 lb if you’re efficient. I started doing a second wash so Im doing 30lb/hr these days.

1 Like

The efficiency comes with timing. You need to time your spins, bag fills, soak times, and chilling solvent time. Soak times and spin times are set/forget for 10 mins. During this time is when you should be filling bags and chilling your solvent.

3 Likes

TWhat is the avarage price of a liter ethanol
?
For blasting as Well as for etho extractions i might loose 3 %
Of butane in blasting and probably 1 % with etho extractions because i find that the last iny mini miny bit Isn t worth the time iT takes to recover

Do you have a link to your filter?

Is the CUP 30 rated for hexane or acetone if you were looking to shoot for lower BP on the recovery?

1 Like

@DeltaSeparationsNate,@DeltaSeparationsMike,@DeltaSeparationsChun

2 Likes

Did you ever make bags for the panda dry spinner by chance?

Is the lenticular filter included in the CUP15 package? Or is it an add-on?

Should be an add-on…

The lenticular filter is an add-on (or at least it was when we purchased a unit), and I would highly suggest avoiding it. Waste of time, money, and product. Bad design leaves behind a gallon (unfiltered), and forces you to either collect it until you have enough to run through the machine again (knowing you will once again leave behind a gallon), discard a gallon of tincture, or force you to build out another type of filtration unit. If you have to build out a filter anyway, why waste money on something that will cost over $300 per filter with no way of really being able to clean them.

I could go on, but I think the point has been made…

8 Likes

Would you guys choose multiple CUP’s or something like what higestzen is doing?

I would rather order a way cheaper one from one of the sources shown in a couple threads, I think it was something like 5-6 k for a jacketed 25kg with ul motor

1 Like