Delta 8 THC: Will terpene pH cause unwanted conversion?

Good evening fellow delinquents,

I have been working with d8 (mainly in carts) for about a month now and have been experiencing many of the same problems other users on this website have been going thru, mainly with unreliable test results with extreme variance across D8 readings off the same batch from different labs, along with smaller variances for detected D9. With my novice knowledge of d8 conversion, I am aware that one of the factors causing cbd → D8 conversion is changing the pH, specifically adding more of an acid.

My question here is, since terpenes are acidic by nature, do you think this pH change from adding terps would alter the D8 and cause it to convert to other cannabinoids? We send in a full cartridge infused with terpnes each time we test the batch. I am aware that pH is only one factor in the conversion process, but it is an idea that i have been thinking about throughout the day and was wondering if any of you brilliant fellows had any idea if this theory has any merit.

We started working up with a new small lab operated by two chemists based out of NC. They recently started working with d8 but have been running multiple tests on our product so they can fine tune their process. One of the lab techs suggested that terpenes MAY be altering the delta 8 as they picked up small amounts of CBD, CBN along with 1.25% d9 which they said they typically do not see. It is also worth noting that my partner made the d8 terpene infusion and miscalulated and ended up adding 10% terpenes by weight instead of 5%. Do you think this extreme amount of terps may be causing d8 to convert to other cannabinoids, or would this be the case of faulty lab testing procedures?

I am curious because i see this as a huge issues IF the pH change from added terpenes is enough to change the structure of d8, especially if the cartridge were to sit over time. Especially since these are sold in a hemp only state and must be below 0.3% D9. Any advice would be appreciated, I didn’t really see much info about this concept anywhere else on the forum and figured it might be a big deal for other vendors if this actually is an issue!

Much love,
Carolindica

3 Likes

Do you have a reference for terpenes being acidic?

Are you doing your own conversions, or buying D8?

4 Likes

Yeah I see a lot of people saying this on the internet. ph = aqueous

I think people hear about how terpenes and silicone are bad and just assume that anything that can break down other materials means it’s acidic.

I think the lab goofed up and is just trying to make sense of the whole situation.

If you could just add a few drops of terps to convert cannabinoids then life would be pretty interesting.

6 Likes

Ref: == Facebook or Redit?!?

Yeah no.

I’d say you’re right on the money. With the caveat that I’m not a chemist.

2 Likes

Closest thing I could find to confirm on a quick Google search

3 Likes

Florida Chemical does offer a neutralized grade of d-Limonene at additional cost.

Meaning it’s not actually the limonene that is “acidic”. It’s a byproduct of the production method

5 Likes

Yeah sometimes botanically extracted d-limonene has traces of acidic compounds in it. My guess would be residual citric acid or something similar. Limonene isn’t acidic though OP

2 Likes

I am purchasing. I am aware of all the bullshit going around in the market right now with sketchy COAs and the fact that most people have no idea what they are doing or why they are buying. Our supplier said he wasn’t able to get a proper conversion and sold us hot d8 for a discounted rate. He also told us he was getting results all over the place and had a large variance on d8 and smaller but still significant variance of D9. Which is what we are now experiencing after getting two different carts tested. I knew it was hot, but wanted to see how hot so I could dilute with with other cannabinoids.

“Acidic” terpenes is a red herring

Red D8 is just plain fishy…

3 Likes

I was asked to measure the pH of some distillate once…
Did not really know how to do that, that are not any standard method or even questions like that in my domain usually… I came back with such measurements with milli-Q water, and though it was a bit stupid, but was the only pH I would give. In fact I did a Florida Chemical Standard. Nice. :smile:

@NorthCarolindica

I don’t think there are acidic terpenes (terpenes are not acids).
There are acidic terpenoids: the acidic cannabinoids. But that’s not the thing here.

But let’s say that if the mix of terps you are adding would have some catalytic activity (other than acidic, but efficient), it would likely need quite some high temperature and some time before promoting an impact on the product. What time/temp do you mix at ?

In case it promote the same things as the acidic catalysis you had in mind, it would likely further turn the bit of d9 to d8 (and/or possibily d10). Perhaps further pushing it to some .% CBN… but likely not much more.

5 Likes

Is the new lab in the Raleigh Durham area . If so I’ve been working with them on the same thing .
Thanks,
Jack

1 Like

Why is red sketchy? Is it a sign of some sort of reaction with added chemicals? I have gotten rosé colored and clearing purple d8, almost the same color as thanos. The pink d8 I purchased wasn’t as vibrant as the video, but I left a cartidge of it in my boiling car for 3 days and it turned reddish pink. Also, my purple jar has gotten a VERY dark purple line of oxodization.

Here’s the pink I had

And here’s the purple I had with the line of oxidization

The purple tested at 4% d9 while the pink tested at 1.2% D9

2 Likes

none of our targets are colored…

3 Likes

Wtf how did those get in there thanks for pointing that out

That looks terrifying

I don’t think your supplier knows what they’re doing.

3 Likes

What you think looks terrifying is in fact quinoids.

“That purple is HU-331, a quinoid that elutes where Δ9 elutes in the chromatography!” @Photon_noir

Oxygen loves jumping onto the cannabinoid molecules, so it’s oxidation when the ph is above 7, I believe.
On it being dangerous.

“Not any more than CBD… in that it can inhibit certain drug eliminatory enzymes in the liver, similar to grapefruit, resulting in toxic accumulation.”

8 Likes

I 2nd this, and def appreciate the HU-331 explanation.

While I’ve seen a lot of talk about the “danger” regarding the color of oil, I haven’t seen or experienced anything that could back this claim.

TBH, most of the people pulling the danger card that I’ve seen are making D8 oil that is golden color. Human nature I suppose… fear of the unknown, or fear of missing out - maybe both.

5 Likes

Terpenes are technically volatile-hydrocarbon’s.

4 Likes

Little late to the party but if u backfill with argon u won’t have that red layer form

2 Likes