Delta 8 - Remediation of Unknowns

Back in the 70s we all wanted D9 and synthesis routes to D9. We considered D8 undesirable. So , we used an organometallic to convert it to D9. It was part of one of our research projects.

Do things right and you will have very little abnormal CBD and THC. I can tell you another lab figured it out. Those byproducts were missing in the THCP and CBDP crude I saw a month or so ago.

4 Likes

Must use chromatography to ensure always a clean product. It will also separate any unreacted CBD (shouldn’t be any due to excess terpene for Olivetol) but chrom always guarantees a clean product.

Unbelieveable I am here discussing this after so many years.

10 Likes

That’s what happens when the engineers think they can handle the chemistry without a proper chemist.

Even as a chemE I know I need the additional knowledge.

8 Likes

I trust you like the solution.

4 Likes

I know that I’m the wrong type of engineer at least

5 Likes

Now that a 2% PITA Olivetol is no longer an issue you are left with some byproducts.

If the synthesis is right you can likely limit byproducts and a chromatography is all that is needed. You can skip the distillation if you are monitoring the Olivetol. Or, after running a lot, charge excess terpenes in to ensure the Olivetol is consumed.

Must have clean solvent that you test.
Must have pure CBD that you test.
Must use argon or N2, and very pure. We had a getter on our gas - no oxidation byproducts then.
Add excess terpene to react out the Olivetol and convert it to CBD or a very high boiler or something that can be easily precipitated or salted out. (after all, you have a Lewis acid)
pTSA is nice.
We used DCM + Magnesium Sulfate
(Don’t get mad): we found magnesium sulfate was wonderful. [Please save the hate. we know what we are doing. It doesn’t sit around long and we cannula everything]. From what I recall, with a water scavenger byproducts were extremely limited.
You can add other additives to scavenge the byproducts or limit them depending on process conditions.

We got perfect results but if someone doesn’t know what they are doing they WILL lose a limb.

Chromatography:

Florisil (removes some contaminates)
98:2 pet ether : ether, move to 90:10 when timing is right - you’ll know.
32L for 100g sample for perfect pure product.
After 4 fractions you are done.

I believe fraction 3 is CBD, fraction 4 is THC, flush the rest.

concentrate - test and reuse solvent.

Edit: This would be the iontrap method
Edit7: add missing parts
Edit12: We never published about Olivetol because I figured it was best to react or chromatography it out.

11 Likes

THIS is a pun, folks.

But yes, I’d love to have yet another reason to hire another chemist. The goal has always been to have a synthetic guy and an analytical guy. (Or gal)

5 Likes

Atleast I’m not the only crazy solvent guy here :man_shrugging:t3::facepunch:t3:

1 Like

When working with phosgene, phosphene, and organometallics things like this don’t look so bad when the result is exceptional. And you can add a stabilizer to keep your reactor in one piece.

3 Likes

Conventional wisdom (on the forum) has shyed away from salts for drying–typically people use zeolite beads. What are your thoughts on drying solvents this way?

1 Like

It’s more rapid of a drying process, the beads I would rather store in solvent till ready for use.

I’m sure they have a more in depth explanation. I’m just trying to put a goblin to sleep.

2 Likes

I appreciate that and we use 3A or 4A where possible but sometimes you can’t get around it.I’d have to test and make sure they don’t do anything to affect the reaction or byproducts.

We are very familiar with safe lab practices and know this is frowned on. Sometimes the reward is too great. This was a case where we found magnesium sulfate was incredible at keeping byproducts minimal. You can add stabilizers to keep your facility in tact.

4 Likes

This actually reminds me of the feeling of what’s left behind with the sulfate after filtering it out. Disgusting really. Funny to think about though.

1 Like

Very important.

2 Likes

7 Likes

I fully believe I’m the benefits pure d8thc has to provide, and I fully believer in this community to allow these benefits to be consumed by all consumers!

I found out this weekend from a podcast f4200
Was founded off of pesty remediation as many know!

After the community effort witnessed on the no clean d8 thread and many others I have no doubt this community will allow for the discovery of process to befor all!!

Please by all means, let’s allow acces for clean and safe d8 to all.

3 Likes

None of these have even a close boiling point to thc

I think we’re jumping to conclusions a little bit here as to say that these are all in D8 and don’t occur naturally in the plant

We barely started tested d8 with MS, and we’ve done even fewer test on flower with MS then D8

Whos to say some of these compounds can’t get trapped in the crystal structure of cbd?

There’s alot more research to be done before you can make a claim these are being made in synthesis and aren’t in the plant

I’m willing to bet olivetol or even olivetol acid is found is low ppms in flower, does this mean we can’t smoke flower then?

2 Likes

We tested butane, ethanol, and co2 extracts. We didn’t get a hit on our most sensitive mass spectrometer all the way down to a ppb.

Really?

Edit: we tested for olivetol

4 Likes

Well dude, phthalates, phenols and dioxins certainly do not exist in conventional extractions with typical solvents.

Go look at homeboys post w the chromatograms.

He said they tested a sample yesterday with dioxin in it. IT WAS A VAPE. Dioxin will kill your ass

7 Likes

You shouldn’t assume that everyone is going through distillation. Appalachian hemp wooks just send it

7 Likes