Delta 8 present in Distillate- PH Help

We have recently started using CRC for our crude extraction. We have been getting test results back that show levels of Delta 8 in our distillate. Looking through this forum it looks like the clay is causing us to have higher acidity levels which in turn is causing a reaction in our distillation process. We have the capabilities to do a water wash with Heptane. What is the best way to raise the Ph levels during this process? I am ordering a Ph test kit today to check our crude oil prior to extraction to get a little more insight. Hopefully this isn’t a spoon question as I have been trying to find answers by searching but haven’t been able to find what I am looking for.

1 Like

Is this CBD or thc distillate?

Is delta 8 found directly after CRC ? Or later in the process ?

1 Like

This is THC distillate, normally our distillate will have ND for any CBD

2 Likes

Only after distillation will the delta 8 be present

1 Like

This indicates the likely presence of acid clay particles, or activated carbon, or at least acid, in your crude prior to distilation.

5 Likes

Why are you crc’ing stuff you’re going to distill? This seems like a waste to me

4 Likes

My guess is that @Dr_Jebril is correct; most likely not filtering out your magic dirt well enough.

This IS one of the reasons OR warned folks about isomerization via CRC

See: New OLCC rules for artificially derived cannabinoids and CRC

Where are you located? AHJ gonna get pissy about D8? (Tell them it was CO2 crude :wink:).

It IS formally possible that you’re managed to pull some of whatever acid was used to process your particular flavor of magic dirt from said dirt.

The wizards advice (repeated around here dozens of time I imagine) is to wash till your water don’t change. Rather that try diddling the pH with up or down.

Eg: Correcting dist ph after running through magsil - #16 by Photon_noir

3 Likes

@Dr_Jebril & @cyclopath nailed it. The solutions to these problems are:

A. If clay or other solid remains in the distilland: You need to filter better before recovering the solvent from the resin (aka: cannabinoid distilland). I always recommend uncompressed cotton balls, glass wool, or some other form of “depth filtration” through fibrous media to remove solid particulate fines in amounts great enough to cause visible haze in the solution. If solids are completely or almost invisible, it is still best practice to at least force the solution through a large 0.2”m membrane filter, such as those which can be found in Sterlitech capsule filters or syringe filter type housings.

B. If residual activating acid molecules from the clay are mobilized out of the clay and into your solution of resin: You need to wash the non-polar (NOT alcohol) solution with water, OR at least run the solution through some neutral adsorbent, such as natural bentonite (e.g. B-80) or partially calcined bentonite (e.g. T-5)
 AND be sure to filter out ALL the solid particles, afterward, as described in ‘A.’, above.

Oh, and if all else fails, you can add a pinch of MgO to the DRY (dehydrated) distilland resin to protect it from thermal isomerization catalysis by any free electrophilic/acid species present in it.
Use no more than maybe half a TEAspoon per Liter of resin, and make sure you stir the powder into hot molten resin to thoroughly disperse and ‘wet’ it. It is also best to use a bit of stainless steel scrubby or other packing material in the vapor rectification column of your SPD head. All of this is to avoid the fine dry MgO powder from “poofing” under vacuum and blowing all throughout your glassware.

4 Likes