Correcting dist ph after running through magsil

Immediately after distillation vs 1 day later

yes, pushing is going to be much easier vs pulling with vacuum.

2 Likes

Tip on cheapest way to get push? Like will a compressor work?

Sep funnel on top is a great idea.

1 Like

Yes but make sure u empty that compressor of water frequently and get an inline drying filter, to minimize the amount of water u push in.

2 Likes

Here is the blurb I wrote in response to customer question regarding Magsil and Spinosin, @TheFire210 …The last lines in parentheses contains the kind of answer you seek, I believe.

General recommendations for MagSil PR:

Solvent should be non-polar (e.g., an alkane, such as n-heptane), NOT alcohol.
Use 10X MagSil PR weight to contaminated cannabinoid product weight… I.e., 10g MagSil to 1g distillate.

Use MagSil PR in a column, typically as (normal phase) chromatography stationary phase, rather than as a simple filtration medium. It is best to use MagSil PR as the 2nd to last step in your pesticide remediation protocol… The last step is pH equilibration of the product by washing with pure distilled water (with NaCl, then without), until the pH of the pure water after washing is the same as it was before washing. This pH is normally 6.2 to 6.8 at typical room temperatures.

I can say with a high degree of certainty that MagSil should be an effective stationary phase in the retention of spinosoids due to its polarity, structure and effective pH (when in contact with water or molecules of opposing effective pH character, like spinosoids). Also, this effect would be best employed in combination with mobile phase (solvent) of normal (straight chain) alkanes, like n-butane (C4) to n-heptane (C7)… so it is suitable for BHO systems with in-line CRC (color remediation chromatography) columns, probably those with increasingly polar & effectively acidic media layers in the direction of flow (for example, Alumicel B or MagSil on top, then the other of the two, then Silica gel, then Alumicel N, then Alumicel A, then acid-activated clay and/or charcoal like T-41).

3 Likes

Three things required to make fire.

You’ve got one.

I don’t recommend deliberately adding a second.

In case you accidentally generate the third.

I suggest nitrogen. Which CAN be reused if you’re clever…

Edit: cheapest method is gravity.

Watch some actual chromatography videos to see how it’s done…Eg this one from MIT Column Chromatography | MIT Digital Lab Techniques Manual - YouTube

And for the others not aware: MIT Open Source Classes

3 Likes

The MIT classes are so cool.

4 Likes

I used hot butane vapors to clear my heptane column lol

indeed.

staying above the UEL is another way of avoiding those pesky 'splosions…

They use pressure in that video. It’s actually what lead me to ask.

I remember the great one @Beaker uses a paintbrush air compressor or something along those lines

nitrogen is a safer solution…and may or may not be what the “flash pressure apparatus” referred to in the video actually consists of.

solvent choice and volume in play are both relevant when making risk/benefit calculations.

…but all three at the same space/time coordinates can seriously harsh your buzz.

seriously kids: DavidB GoFundMe for funeral costs and scholarship

2 Likes

Why do you say to use Silica gel, then Alumicel N, then Alumicel A after magsil/alumicel B?

I never had very good results with normal silica but i didn’tadjust the ph of my solution before running it through which I’ve read affects it’s effectiveness a lot. But if i adjust the ph inline then it should work better. I prefer using magsil but not anywhere near 10:1 magsil:extract, that’s way overkill in my experience

And I’m trying to avoid using clays so that my flow rate isn’t slowed down a lot, at least until i start pushing everything with nitrogen

@TheFire210 , the concept in my instructions is in-line neutralization of pH. The Magsil and Alumicel B are both alkaline (high pH), so if they are at the top (entrance) of a CRC column, then using layers of more and more acidic (lower pH) media below them should help the solution to exit at a pH closer to neutral. Does that make sense?

2 Likes

Yea the concept makes sense, what i was wondering is why you’re using silica AND magsil when magsil works 100x better than silica. Also why use so many types of alumicel, why not use magsil on top and alumicel A on bottom since it’s the lowest ph? Is there a specific purpose to stepping the ph down with multiple types of powders?

2 Likes

Ah, well not particularly. That was just an example for remediation of the difficult pesticide: Spinosad. The more adsorbent functionality one uses, the better his chance of remediation success with such a pernicious pesty.

3 Likes

You are suggesting ion exchange in aprotic solvent?
You are scavenging mobile H+ ions off a Lagmuir isotherm
to protonate phenolates in aprotic solvent…or are you suggesting the “CRC”
has bound water with low pH and you are actually doing a LLE?
Perhaps a little diagram would help? Or are we just talking about pH of water dissolved in alkane?

It is really amazing how people are thinking about pH…these days.

the original op said “dist” so we should assume decarbed?
not to be confused with the popular use of CRC on alkane-crude prior to diamond prep?

Where do those H+ ions come from? that is rhetorical of course…I am amused.
yes a diagram…perhaps?

Unless we try REALLY hard to ensure a system is anhydrous, there is ALWAYS some water present, @moronnabis . The one thing I feel you need to consistently remind yourself is that MOST chemistry is NON-ideal! :wink:

2 Likes

Unless there’s residual water in my heptane or magsil there’s definitely no water in the system… yes it’s definitely decarbed all the way since I’m remediating after 1st pass and then doing a 2nd pass for finished product.

2 Likes

But does the water take on/dissolve any h+ ions from the column? If we wanted some kind of “neutral” system aren’t we vying for an exact amount of both high and low pH medias to perfectly neutralize?

Are we worried about isomerization or something? That won’t likely occur in these conditions.

Will water’s pH change by running over a pH tuned media? I don’t really know the science. I would assume tiny bits would dissolve?

3 Likes