Delta 8 kitchen license questions (Texas)

Hey guys, I have a few questions regarding licensing/permits in Texas and figured I’d shoot the shit with you guys here rather than call around to a bunch of people who don’t really know. What is everyone doing for delta 8…etc kitchens ? Are they actually getting food handlers permits, food wholesalers licenses, food manufacturing license or just getting a hemp production license ? If you apply for the hemp production license with the intention of making edibles will they ask where your food manufacturing license is or have you itemize your products or some shit ? Does this fall in a weird grey area because it’s technically some sort of supplement and not regulated as of yet ? Is anyone using a warehouse with no true commercial kitchen space and building it out without vent hoods ( adding stainless steel tables and actually following gmp etc) ? The landlord at a spot we were looking at told us that for a true kitchen we would need vent hoods and that the spot he had was a 3 well sink or something of the sort but I didn’t get overly specific I just said a CBD related business. I know most brands are just doing this shit out of their house or a warehouse and not even getting the license so they can avoid all the bullshit that comes with it and have 0 responsibility for their product but I would like to be as thorough as possible all around, constant updated test results from kca for each batch of edibles/pens etc, licenses, safe packaging, no problems with health inspectors or local officials. What do you guys think ? Any homies from Texas here that have traversed these waters care to help me out ? Would be very much appreciated, if you’re in Houston or even close at all (dallas/Austin) I would be down to link and sesh/eat a nice dinner on me if you would be willing to answer a few questions I have or show me your spot !
Appreciate it guys.

@MillerliteRN can likely get you on track.

Here’s his thread on building out his facility.

1 Like

We are regulated by the Texas Health Board.

Search Site | Texas DSHS

Your equipment requirements will be dictated by the product you plan on manufacturing. If you want D8 fish sticks or HHC hamburgers. You’re going to need a SS Vent hood with a fire suppression system active. Do you see yourself needing one?
@TheGratefulPhil is a good consult on everything GMP. I rattled his tree for you.

Plan on doing some pectin gummies and CDT and normal vapes firstly then rolling into chocolate and baked goods possibly in the future but for now not so much. Yea I plan on filing with the DSHS to get the hemp license but am trying to figure out what I need outside of that to be complaint with the local/county health department. I’m assuming it’s roughly the same throughout different areas. If I’m just doing gummies I don’t need a hood but they might feel different, no ?

Homie of mine visited a spot in Houston where they are just injecting the gummies with distillate LOL, 20+ people in a makeshift kitchen, but he did mention they are not compliant and are expecting to be shut down by the health department due to their lack of a real kitchen. Have yet to converse with the dude but I’m going to Thursday so I can see what he has to say about it all. Just trying to figure out if even though I’m doing everything overall better ( environment, sop…etc) that the kitchen technically would be the same thing

Thats the Texas department of health… same regs in Dallas as in an other county in Texas…

However the city might have requirements… that will suprise you.

Fort Worth wanted us to have a 10k gallon grease trsp… because we use MCT oil in tinctures…

Lol…

We have a small one under our sink now… it has nothing in it and has never had anything in it…
That 10k gallon trap was going to cost ue $20k to get installed…

1 Like

Gotcha yea so the license for the hemp and the overall health situation is both dictated by them,
I guess I’ll call in the morning and ask some questions. The land lord told us we could get the site inspected for occupancy by the fire Marshall then have a building inspector come by and lastly go to the health department to have someone come out to approve it before we sign the lease and to just tell them we got it signed already and if it doesn’t go our way we can just part ways. He said he was under the impression that we would need a hood to get the kitchen setup certified but he didn’t know forsure. I just want to make sure that before I sign a year lease the located is rated or can be retrofitted for making gummies and vapes at the very minimum, the other stuff we will deal with as time passes.

Thoes are good questions…

There are more pressing issues, you might want to look into before going forward.

The Texas Legislative sessions are active. :woozy_face:

1 Like

No doubt, I saw somewhere that they are trying to pass a bill that would make it illegal by September but there is mixed emotions on whether it will go forward. We talked the guy into a 6 month lease for just that reason.

You need a clause in your agreement, that states “if texas law changes” your out.

But why would you spend mony on a buildout now… on the What Ifs.

We are already diversifying because of the what ifs.

A GMP facility taks a good amt of time to build.

2 Likes

We’re going to put a lot of effort into expanding our sales outside of the state ontop of locally so if it comes to that we can migrate to a friendlier state and just ship all our gear over there and rebuild. I’m really hoping that a good amount of states decide to regulate dosing/packaging…etc as opposed to just banning. It’s a free rolled venture at this point so as long as we stay ahead of it all or scale quickly and bounce if shit gets iffy I think it will work out business wise. Too many shitty brands floating around for tax.