Delta 8 isomerization

Hi all, I am testing the isomerization method of cbd isolate to delta 8, with the following formula ( Dissolve 1 g of CBD in 10 ml of 0.005 molar H2SO4 0.005 molar in glacial acetic acid.
Let the solution stand at room temperature.
After 3 hours, the CBD has been converted to 52 % delta-9-THC and 2 % delta-8-THC.
After 3 days, a mixture of 15% delta-9-THC, 54% delta-8-THC, 10% delta-8-iso-THC and 10% CBD has formed.
Elaborate:
Pour in water (100 ml or more) and carefully add while stirring (froth!) enough baking soda (15 g should be enough) to raise the pH above 7. Extract with petroleum ether, wash with water, evaporate the solvent to get a mixture of initial CBD and predominantly delta-9- or delta-8-THC with some other by-products depending on reaction time).
i know there are many other better and easier ways to do it but i have bought all the equipment to do this method, i did 2 tests the first one i used 1 gram of cbd as the formula says at the moment of doing the extraction i have some doubts concerning the (amount of petroleum ether i should pour
and the amount of time I should let the ether make the separation of the 2 phases) because the formula does not specify, my first test I let the ether make the separation of the 2 phases for approximately 24 hours, (PICTURE 2) then after evaporating the petroleum ether there was a pink resin that I did not know if this would be the delta 8 or some other byproduct, also the amount has been very little I imagine that below 1 gram of weight,
then I started to do a second test (PICTURE 1) using the same method and the same quantities, the only thing I changed was the time I let the petroleum ether make the separation of the 2 phases, I reduced the time to approximately 1 hour, and then after the evaporation I had some water at the bottom and after the water evaporated I was left with a product that was not and did not look like a resin and had the appearance of cbd powder with water, I would like to know if anyone has tried this method before and what indications could you give me to improve my method (I have no chemical training).
My 3 main doubts are
THE AMOUNT OF ETHER TO BE USED TO MAKE THE SEPARATION USING AS A BASE 1 G OF CBD ISOLATE AND THE QUANTITIES OF THE FORMULA.

TIME THAT SHOULD BE LEFT FOR THE ETHER TO MAKE THE SEPARATION.

APPEARANCE OF THE FINAL PRODUCT, DOES IT REMAIN IN RESIN FORMAT ? OILY WATERY ?
COLOR?

I HAVE ALSO BOUGHT ALL THE EQUIPMENT TO DO THE SHORT RUN DISTILLATION METHOD WITH CBD ISOLATE AND A.C T41 .

WHO CAN HELP ME WITH BOTH METHODS WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE, GREETINGS TO ALL …

Ummm, are you sure you want to tackle something this complicated with no chemistry training? Not trying to be a jerk, just saying I wouldn’t want to consume anything I managed to make in this manner without a ton more knowledge about what is actually happening vs following a recipe. Kudos for learning and trying new things, but I would suggest learning the actual chemistry of what’s happening in isomerization before trying this.

7 Likes

It is only for testing, also the only thing that if I would ever consume this would be me

what happens is that the United States does not send delta 8 to Europe so to have it here I have to manufacture it

This is a well written SOP for CBD → D8 isomerization via pTSA. This will answer most of your questions

2 Likes

Keep in mind reactn time is for 10/20kilo, if u would use 1000 geam of cbd it should be under a hour if i understood correctly.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/The-content-of-impurities-in-sulfuric-acids_tbl1_283871196#:~:text=For%20example%2C%20it%20has%20been,2012)%20.

Reaction rates and times needed for completion of reactions are virtually independent of scale.

Reaction kinetics are governed by concentrations of reactants and specifics of reaction mechanisms.

3 Likes