Delta- 8 Isomerization and CBD

Hey guys, first off I have searched the existing isomerization topics and haven’t seen this question but I apologize if it has been answered before and I just missed it.
I’m working on developing a method for THC-remidation via flash chromatography and I’ve noticed several of my fractions have a very pink hue. I have found some information stating that this pink hue could be a sign of delta-8 THC isomerization as delta-8 while colorless will react with oxygen to form a rose or pink colored by product. Have any of you encountered or ran across this before?
I’m digging through the literature for examples but not having any luck so far.
Picture included for reference of the color I’m seeing.

2 Likes

Your PH is off, you used magsil for chromatography?

Cbd will change color easily due to ph changes

1 Like

Thanks King
I’m working on a C18 reverse phase yea. Any good literature on the pH isomerization and byproducts?

My D8 always has a bit of a rosey hue but I assumed it was because of the purple fraction that came off towards the end of the mains aka the tails are purple

Unless you really change your PH you wont cause isomerization without any heat or a decent period of time in high/low PH conditions.

Tbh I have no idea about reverse phase, I think @MagisterChemist or @Krative might be able to tell you more about c18 and its PH

That’s interesting since I’m doing a CBD extraction wouldn’t have expected a ton of D8

:wink: that’s the spirit

Reverse phase separations are expensive but they work well. Let me know if you need any help.

1 Like

Reverse phase is essentially just non-polar stationary phase with more polar solvent systems. Since the nonpolar media is just carbon chains bound around the silica (C18), the reverse phase media can have no pH. The solvent system you are using can have a pH though, and that’s where things get fun with reverse and standard phase chromatography.

6 Likes

Rosé is ph imbalance, so is purple and sometimes blue

1 Like

Hey man, I’d love to chat about reverse phase. Care if I DM you

@Kingofthekush420 Assuming someone wanted to make a rose color oil, I am assuming the rose color would come from a lower PH - or acidity?

@Kingofthekush420 was banned for doxxing someone via posting pictures of persons pregnant wife

He is as low quality an individual as one can hope to become when locked into a deliberate downward spiral, he has stolen from me personally and doubled down in his attempts to lie to my face when confronted over it, he has done irreparable damage to many other members of the extractors and distillers community- most of what he claims as his own work is just like my rotovaps and SPD that he lifted- not his property.

Wow. Ok. Thank you for the heads up. I don’t know him personally and just thought he maybe able to help us on what were working on.

Do you have any idea about how to get to rose’ colored D8? Is it simply acidic PH? If so, what PH do we want to get a light pink hue?

I think you do not want rose color b/c it indicates the D8 may not have been properly washed and distilled to remove the reagents used in isomerization and then ph balanced.

If you don’t understand what’s happening to cause the color and how to make it happen, you probably shouldn’t be trying. These processes should be done by trained people with a fundamental understanding of the process itself.

My 2 cents.

1 Like

that’s worth more than 2 cents :wink:

1 Like

Steve thank you for the heads up. A client is specifically calling for Rose’ color - were trying to reverse engineer to figure out how to make that happen. This is valuable info for us to reiterate to him - that it’s not the best to have for XYZ reasons. You’re the man.

1 Like

I was thinking it wasn’t worth half a cent! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

def not the man. @Kingofthekush420 and @Rowan are def the men. they’re just having a little tiff which I’m sure they’ll work out. (bromances are hard)

1 Like