Degumming CLAY Dgc carbon chemistry

What about stall in dewas column with the clay?

3 Likes

Wow that came out nice , can I hit you with a couple question in messages ?

Yeah, go ahead

How much heptane to oil did you use?

@renchi 1.5 liters per every liter of oil.

1 Like

Sweet, I’m getting some clay and hopefully I can get the same results, even though I’m using etho.

I’m pretty sure it’ll be fine.
The pH has to be re balanced with sodium bicarbonate back to a 7. Prior to distillation. pH washes
I’ve done with and without.

When I don’t , I get a red precipitate on the swing arms. (Water solubles) red oil.
When I do adjust pH and wash my oil, it comes out without the red streaks and oxidation is cut down big time. You can also make nice water clear by pH adjusting.

The Clay is citric based from what others have told me.

4 Likes

Does this occur even if you use t5 to get the water solubles out? You ph balance with distilled water? I’ve never done it.

Yes. Even when I use t5.
The pH washing is pretty easy.
You get your oil and dissolve 1:1 heptane and your desired pH water. RO/DI water .I use a little setup from Petco. Mix in sep funnel and separate layers. Citric acid , sodium bicarbonate ,and saline water or just RO water. Your choice … By washing out at pH 6 or 7 you wash out the red. At least that’s what my cheapo pH strips say.

2 Likes

Sweet. I used distilled water always. May I ask if you winterize after using the clay or not?

Lately I’ve been winterizing after first pass.rotovap Then degumm with heptane.

2 Likes

So if I understand this correctly, you’ve changed from degumming the crude to degumming the first pass instead?

Why the change? I would assume getting the gums out before the first pass would be the most effective?

What’s the diff between heptane and n-heptane?

The crude I’ve been getting lately is winterized, decarb, degummed already. The crude I was getting before was dirty so I would do it before first pass and after.
Plus it’s easier when you have less material to work with so degumming 1 liter of distillate is much easier than degumming 2-2.5 liters of crude.

1 Like

N heptane is food grade hplc, science grade and the purity is higher than just regular heptane.

@Rowan the ‘n’ represents straight chain alkanes. The difference being whether the molecule is branched or cyclized.

A common example of when this is not the case is “hexanes” where there is some mixtures of different isomers.

2 Likes

@LiquidLotusExtracts
Yo,

I’m trying out the saline wash and I have a question. I have 4 gallons solution. 2.1 gal hexane with 2.3 kg crude and 2 gal brine. The emulsion layer is 1.5 gal and murky as hell. Did I not put enough salt in? Should it be that much? I’ve let it be for 30 min. It doesn’t seem to get smaller. From the wash yesterday I know there are cannabinoids in the emulsion layer, so I don’t know if it’s a bunch of gums and water solubles the bento didn’t grab or what?

2 Likes

Keep on repeating the same steps untill it’s clear then move on to the next pH level of wash.

Hit me up on my cell.

2 Likes

Your name is LLE, how cool

3 Likes

If your processing allows it, add a quick squirt of methanol, don’t shake the flask, come back to it in a few minutes. Might break up your emulsion

3 Likes