Decarbing - removes residual solvents?

Hi there,

I primarily make shatter to make up capsules and use it to make chocolate bars.

I decarb the shatter prior to filling the capsules or using it in my edibles, my questing is does the decarbing procedure boil off any residual butane? and am I wasting a week purging my shatter if the decarb process boils off the butane?

Thanks

Not wasting time no. To decarb you need to not have any solvent first ergo evaporate or purging. Then can properly decarb due to oil not being able to reach higher than solvent be while combined

1 Like

many thanks, I did wonder firstly on the safety of not fully purging, decided I didnt need a new oven just yet :joy: but thought I could maybe shave a couple of days off the purge.

1 Like

Are you scraping or pouring out? Depending on you extraction style you can pull to deep vac to close that gap before oven while recovering

pouring, then scrape whats left and spread on seperate sheet.

first day I pull a vac at 20, 84f, flip after 12. Day 2 onwards I pull full vac and I raise the temp daily by around a degree to end up around 94f, flipping every 12hrs, purge for 7 days.

1 Like

if you’re decarbing the shatter pre dosing it should remove all the residual solvent. you can probably spend less time flipping slabs.

2 Likes

thanks

As in zero time flipping…

PullIng vac overnight then straight to decarb would be appropriate.

3 Likes

don’t get me wrong, i’m under no time constraints, nothing has to be done in a rush, i’m all about the quality of the end product i’m selling … so I think i’ll still purge as per for 4 days, then do my decarb.

Thanks everyone, just one of those Sunday afternoon ponderings …

Disagree respectfully. The decarb step is what will be removing any terpenes, etc. If you do that the same way the amount of flipping you did previously really makes no difference whatsoever. Removing all the butane up front will not change anything or improve quality in any way

2 Likes

Which is very much relevant for ethanol (78C) but not so much for butane (0C).

1 Like

If you just heat to decarb after extraction I urge you to test that ppm you’ll still have a solvent in there as you didn’t pull a vac to forcibly remove residuals