Decarb under pressure to retain terps?

agreed on the “wasting He”, at least until we can reliably make more, and using what we have to get high is stupid.

However, your reminders on reaction kinetics made me wonder if He was being used to lower the kinetic energy transferred in some portion of those collisions, so as to lower the side reactions. Not a valid reason to off-gas He imo, but made me wonder.

Thank you for that. Lots of very useful tips.

2 Likes

http://www.harvestdirectenterprises.com These guys say they are the first and only that age able to retain all terpenes during decarb.

1 Like

Hmm… sounds like a fishy marketing scheme at first glance, as it really seems that terpene modulation of cannabinoid effects is only really notable (at least to me) when administered by inhalation (vaping or smoking), and not when ingested through the GI tract.

4 Likes

You’re quite welcome @cyclopath ! That’s an interesting thought… less mass = less momentum = less force. I guess that might be a thing in the gas phase, where terpene vapors might be hanging out… but those vaporized terps would only go back down into the liquid if significantly chilled to condense them… and since the jacketed walls would do the chilling, the profile or aspect ratio of the vessel would have to be pretty wide and flat to reduce condensation on the walls, so the terps would actually reetner the liquid body.

yep. using Helium.

which why we were discussing how that might work. the pros of nuclear fusion, and the cons throwing away a non-renewable like Helium for the sake of getting high :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh! @cyclopath I don’t think you were around when I said it today, but why not replace He with Ar (argon)? It makes up 0.7% of our atmosphere and it probably the cheapest inert (noble, in fact) gas to buy!

3 Likes

Nope! Nitrogen is still the cheapest :grin: it may not have nobility, but is still the king in my book for price!

1 Like

Yes, N2 is the cheapest, being 78+% of our atmosphere. I am just saying if a Noble gas is needed, then Argon is the least expensive of them.

2 Likes

Very true.

2 Likes

I assume you would need to remove the MgO before smoking if desired?

How could one do that w/o a run of the spd??

1 Like

@lefties.cannabis Yes and no. Yes, MgO will leave a weird, water soluble residue in your dab rig… although most people decarbing like this are doing it for edibles (MgO is a nutrient supplement) or crude for distillate. Are you asking how to pre-decarb your dabs?

That was the “yes” answer. The no answer is simply no, it is not necessary to remove it. MgO is used to make high temperature crucibles for melting transition metals and such. It will not vaporize.

Mainly looking at this process for RSO carts. Would be nice to actually keep a strain profile instead of re-introducing terps

Hmm… Well, a water wash of RSO:alkane solution should do it… and you can add MgO to the extracted alkane solution to lower the decarboxylation temperature, but I don’t know how long it would take to decarboxylate in boiling alkane. Of course, you still have to recover the solvent, too. To preserve the full profile takes pressure and/or skill.

2 Likes

Will the Mg0 effect the taste of the oil ? Could it be used on a honey oil that has to be acitivated for vape carts -

If it’s not activated it bubbles

I am using a short path right now to activate it under pressure but it alway seems to bubble

1 Like

Those bubbles ARE decarboxylation

2 Likes

Yes forusre I have to bring it up to 110+ to activate I put it in my short path under vaccume and after I am about 90-95c I swap the flask so I can collect the terps and then bring it up to temp
But this is what happens it’s caramels we’ll gets darker the yellow one is the colour prior to decarbing

1 Like

Not trying to play semantics…

Saying you need to “activate” it or it bubbles, rather than you need to decarboxylate it obscures your understanding of the process.

You may well know that “activating” produces CO2…but I can’t tell without further inquiry…right?

If it decarboxylates at point of use, you assume your customers find the bubbles a flaw. No quibble there. Just needed to make sure you understood what the bubbles were. And the preferred terminology for discussing the phenomenon.

As you’ve noted, heating your oil to decarb temperatures also darkens it.

Your question would seem to be: “will this allow me to decarb my vape pen oil at lower temperatures without affecting the taste or color”, which is a reasonable question.

The bubbles seem like a red herring.

7 Likes

Yes you said it perfectly ! So will it lol

1 Like

I’ll share what I’ve been doing when decarbing concentrates to infuse coco oil and lecithin for cooking.

When I decarb I put between 5-10 grams into a 4-8 ounce mason jar with the lid. I then fill my rice cooker with water and throw my mason jar into the bath and close the lid. I’ll check on it every 15 minutes till co2 bubbles seem to stop or get to small for horrible vision to see. On average my concentrates seem to be fully decarbed or pretty damn close after 1.5 hrs. I’ll take it out of the cooker and let it cool down in the fridge. Once cooled enough I’ll take it out of the fridge pop the jar open add my lecithin and oil and repeat the rice cooking step only difference is I shake the jar vigorously every time I take it out. Once I can’t see any lecithin or concentrate I let it cook for ten more minutes before removing from the cooker and putting in the fridge to help everything set in place.

With the way I have been decarbing ive been noticing my concentrates seemed to retain a lot of terps(going by smell) it doesn’t smell exactly the same but Very similar. I’m very big on using terps in my cooking. I have noticed when I do this method my jars depressurized them selves as the dimple on the jar is always sucked in when decarb is finished

2 Likes

It can, but pressure needs to be inert gas to avoid oxidation. However, even with 10 psi N2 pressure, decarboxylation temperatures could ostensibly begin isomerization, too.