Decarb Problem- CO2 vs Ethanol

I’ve just run into a little problem and I’m wondering people’s thoughts. I have successfully run an ethanol lab for a year and a half and have never run into any problems with decarb. Basically just throw it on a hot plate with a temperature probe and a magnetic stir bar. After 1.5-3.0 hours at 105 C it’s done. Residual ethanol gone, fully decarbed. It’s easy to tell when it is done since there are no more bubbles and surface is relatively smooth.

My problem- a friend’s company asked us to do some decarb on CO2 extract winterized hemp oil. I followed the same procedure, getting it up to temp and then let it ride for 3-3.5 hours. It was still bubbly after that time but I figured it had to be done. I was wrong. Testing came back and the CBDA was only 25% converted.

Is decarb different for CO2-extracted rather than ethanol-extracted oil? I’m fine redoing my work but want to make sure it’s done right this time.

Thanks folks!

We do CO2 hemp extraction. This is for unwinterized crude.

CBD decarbs at a higher temp. We ramp ours between 130-150C for 3-4 hrs. But we do still end up with 5-10% CBD.

We used to do it around 110-120C and we would end up with 20%+ CBDA.

So higher temp for longer time should help. And make sure there is adequate stirring.

2 Likes

I assume you are trying to decarb unwinterized CO2 extract? Without ethanol present, decarb takes longer. If you were decarbing winterized CO2 extract you might not encounter this due to presence of ethanol speeding up decarb. So it’s up to you if you want to hit 105C and hold for several hours or take yoshi’s recommendation below and heat a little hotter.

1 Like

@Delta-Zk any thoughts?

We decarb winterized CO2 in a Cascade @ 220F for 3 hours. Typically Converts 100% of the CBDa.