Decarb in reactor

Greetings all!

Im currently looking to transition from decarbing winterized hemp crude in 50L rotos, to deacarbing in a 30L jacketed reactor. What would be the optimal speed for agitation using this method? I have the reactor at 120C, and the only time I can observe a reaction is when I throttle the speed momentarily.

Thank you in advance!

I havent found much difference in heavy agitation vs just a slow agitation for decarb itself. some mixing is better than none though.

However to start the process a heavier agitation will help pull those low boiling point compounds faster. and decarb wont start until all of that is gone.

can you also get a reading on your solution vs jacket temps? your solution is probably around 10c lower than the jacket.

1 Like

You should be pulling a light vacuum to pull volatiles and co2 from your viscous crude oil.

Also,
Activated alumina will lower the temps required for your decarb, and will allow for decarb at room temperature- you need to keep the oil suspended in a solvent in order to do this effectively however

Alumina will also remove a ton of impurities, I suggest running your material through an alumina plug post extraction, it will pull water out of your ethanol along with many water soluble contaminants and go a long way in lowering your decarb time in the reactor and exposure to high heat that degrades your oils

7 Likes

Right on the money. Solution is 10C lower than the jacket

I am pulling a light vaccum (0.04 MPa).

Idk, the only megaPascal I wager is with god and a handful of activated alumina as the dice.

You realize that utilizing Blaise Pascal’s measuring system, you are in essence taking the first steps to a new life walking in the good graces forever here on earth?

5 Likes

Im just reading the gauge lol. 300 torr. Better?

1 Like

Torricelli was a student of Galileo and we all know how much a heretic he was.

Tread carefully, the road to science is paved with the entrails of the last priest.

7 Likes

3 Likes

@rowan I’m so glad you’re back man! I should welcome you back and ask for nothing in return BUT since I’m a whore for data:

How RT are we talking with that alumina? I messed with MgO briefly and found it not effective for decarb at reasonable reflux temps (admittedly, not a lot of time was spent on this and it was not the most empirical experimentation). I always assumed alumina was a much less impactful catalyst for the reaction but well, what the fuck do I know lol

3 Likes

Did you put the MgO in your boiling flask? @SidViscous

2 Likes

This! @TwistedStill from earlier conversations :wink:

You can increase the catalytic activity of MgO by depositing it onto activated alumina.

You still believe vacuum will decarb your THCa at a lower temp? I’m not sure what else this is in reference to.

1 Like

HAHAHA you know it!

What’s the thought process on that

You’ll have to ask @DillyFWonka he’s the one who understands this phenomena

2 Likes

That I was not referring to this, and previous convo was taken out of context… However I will entertain his response as he is a valued member and deserves that respect EDIT: And I could not help to poke the bear on a harmless friendly convo. Edit: joke is dead.

Decarboxylation is caused by cleaving part of the molecule, using high enough temps to cause that group to fall off the molecule. That’s where the co2 comes from. It’s not influenced by a change in boiling point because it’s a molecular bond being broken.

4 Likes

Completely agree lol. The original convo was regarding maintaining potency and why I would pull a light vac (to remove volatiles and co2)… And I was being a bit of a smartass, but there is a valid reason for pulling a light vac to remove volatiles and co2 for multiple reasons.

3 Likes