Dealing with static electricity... MAJOR NO NO

Yes ma’am, I just recently got my cpr certs too. I think every facility should have a couple of employees who are certified to perform cpr.

10 Likes

And basic first aid. This is all part of a robust quality program and I’m for it, every bit of it.

8 Likes

Thanks, I’m filling all my extinguishers with paint now… I never really used them before.

https://viralart.vandalog.com/read/chapter/katsus-videos/

3 Likes

You should try filling them with flour or powdered milk…

2 Likes

I fill them with weed and butane and spray into a buchner

1 Like

Try weed and CO2

See: Open blast CO2

1 Like

While this dead thread can be revived, @CuriousFurious can not be brought back. He was the one who started this thread, and I was only made aware today that he died either in or due to a lab explosion in southern Oregon 2ish years ago.

He was an amazing human, and probably the most safety focused employee I have ever had in a lab setting. I have no idea what happened, but I did hear he went back into the building to try and fix whatever the emergency was that caused the explosion and his subesquent death.

If anyone has any information about what happened, I would really appreciate knowing. Feel free to shoot me a DM or post it here so that we can all learn and be better/safer.

Even when mitigating the risks we are presented with as extractors, bad things can happen. Hug your loved ones and stay vigilant. Whether you are in the recreational or traditional market, these types of accidents are preventable, and there is no hash on the face of this earth that is worth your life.

Rest in peace @CuriousFurious.

17 Likes

The hat pictured above was his. He died from the burns he suffered in this explosion. Took a lot of digging, but it appears this happened in White City, Oregon in April of 2021.

This happened less than a month after his last post in this thread, which, sadly, happens to be about buying a pull down blanket in case of fire.

Please be safe, friends, and if anyone can help shed light on the events that led to this horrifically tragic accident, I would be incredibly grateful.

8 Likes

Thats sad man. May he rest in peace. Crazy gow he started this thread and he definitely seemed very responsible on the subject. Shits crazy.

6 Likes

:point_up_2:t2:I second that.

Rest in Peace @CuriousFurious stay Groovy in paradise homie :octopus:

Damn

4 Likes

Thank you for the update @Akoyeh. Re-reading his posts supports that @CuriousFurious was an amazing person and considerate and professional and had a good head on his shoulders. Wish I could have met him. @CuriousFurious will be in mind during our safety discussions.

The people that work on BHO around me are screwing up all day long, every day, and somehow just keep lucking out.

10 Likes

Bumping this thread because a member whose lab I’ve visited reached out today.

They had TWO pours ignite in the space of three shifts.

I’m hoping they will come forward and share.

Because most who catch fire don’t get to raise their hands and go over how things went down…and learning this one the hard way fucking sucks.

13 Likes

…lab that reached out actually has humidity data.

Both events took place below 30% RH

10 Likes

Scary,

My suggestions would be: Make sure your skid is grounded, look into the clothes you are wearing into the booth, get a grounding mat installed by the machine, maybe one at the door as well, increase humidity.

Any carpet in the facility? We had a rug in my office and it caused a static situation consistently, after we removed that it was solved.

Note, also checked the c1d1 and were at 42% humidity, if anyone doesnt have a simple mechanical gauge in their room i’d recommend it for peace of mind.

8 Likes

Ordered… Don’t need no fires.

3 Likes

The events I’m most familiar with both took place on systems with hoses coming off the collection.

Both hoses were occluded. Higher than normal pressure was applied (25-30psi?!?).

Neither were using static dissipative hoses (carbon filled ptfe iirc).

Hoping we get more details on the most recent ones.

I liked the response we used while trying to ID the problem…

a spray bottle :sweat_drops: to dissipate the negativity

3 Likes

put a slow drip on your collection pot and make some steam, mop your floors before every pour. Piss in the corner.

anything is better than the alternative.

5 Likes

Static dissipative hoses should be the norm! You’re grounding everything else in your space (including yourself…hopefully…) if your hose isn’t grounded to your machine, then it should be static dissipative. And even if it is, it always helps to reduce the amount you are producing for sure.

I hope that your friends are doing okay. 2 flashes in as many days is SCARY. <3

2 Likes

Just heard of an incident today where a tech was whipping bho while pouring from a collection pot with stainless tools, created a spark and lit the whole collection pot in flames

3 Likes

man every time this comes up it bums me out, hope @CuriousFurious is RIP.

8 Likes