Dealing with solid non-winterized crude oil

We’ve got pails of very solid non-winterized crude (hemp). Anyone have a trick for moving portions of it into the tank with ethanol for winterization? Its been slow going so far. Was thinking to try a hot knife for cutting foam or maybe that’s too extreme

https://www.amazon.com/RoMech-Foam-Cutter-Styrofoam-Accessories/dp/B07JBQ58L2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=hot+knife&qid=1572488496

Get a barrel or tank warmer off amazon or keenovo has nice ones

1 Like

Warm the bucket in a water bath
Pour half of the crude into another bucket
Add warm ethanol
Mix carefully
Keep doing this until it’s easy enough to transfer

7 Likes

Would be worth checking the chemical compatibility of the bucket with the ethanol. I know most people are using denatured ethanol these days. Especially because I’ve seen hemp crude in at least 6 different types of containers.

Edit: I say this because one of the buckets had very poor compatibility with heptane. I opted to just get it pretty warm and used a silicone spatula to get 99% of it out, and isopropyl to get the last of it.

6 Likes

That’s is 100% a great step to add to this SOP and clearly comes from a place of experience I cannot believe that I missed that- always check chemical
Compatibility of your solvent with all surfaces that solvent will be touching.

8 Likes

I’m trying a tank warmer now, will add water bath later if it doesn’t liquefy. This crude is really solid and extremely gooey, hard to imagine it liquifying, but lets see. Worst case, I will then pour warm 100% 200-proof ethanol into the pail as well. The buckets are HDPE which appears to be more or less compatible with ethanol.

1 Like

Etoh soak it

1 Like

Using the bucket warmer overnight worked great to make it less solid. I then just used a rice paddle like this to move the crude out of the bucket. Amazon.com. I’ve been using just a 5:1 ethanol: crude ratio for the winterization filtering, it seems to work ok.

Stainless steel buckets with clamp lids! Best purchases I’ve ever made. 304 steel 25$ a 21L bucket

3 Likes

Are they still available? Link?

Hello do you have an winterized crude for sale? If so, what’s the price per liter?