Dairyland vacuum oil, yes-no?

So I use the Dairyland oil in my freeze drier and it is truly amazing how it protects the interior of that machine. Wondering if it’s suitable for my Alcatel 2021? Can’t see to find any tech info on the oil.

the lower the volatility of your oil, the deeper you pump will suck.

you can certainly use it. question is will it effect your ultimate vacuum depth. given that you listed “distillation” & “chemtech”, you clearly want as much suck as you can got.

using a cheaper oil might mean you get to (can afford to) change it more often, which might make up for the reduced ultimate vac. or maybe there will be no loss.

you’ve got a gauge. and dairyland. how about you tell us?

3 Likes

I’ll do a wash with it and pull down see what the bullseye says! I’m going to get some 19 grade though for the reason you mentioned, to pull deeper. Thanks!

1 Like

if you were sucking on a rotovap or vac oven, there would be little reason to go with the more expensive oil. when you’re fighting for microns, my assumption is you need the good stuff. if you’re changing oil at end of day or after every run, knowing how many microns you lose to the cheaper alternative seems like valuable data.

thanks for asking
and thanks in advance for reporting back

4 Likes

I used the dairyland oil to clean my 2 alcatel 2021 pumps. I pulled 7 and 29 micron after a couple hot flushes blanked off at the pump with a yellow jacket gauge. I haven’t played with the ballast yet either.

It’s cheap ($12 gallon) and locally available so I plan to use it with my 2021 pump on freeze dryer and early fractions and change every use.

2 Likes