Dairy cows

Anyone here have experience with dairy cows? Planning on getting started on them this next spring, we are thinking starting with 2, since any extra milk can go to the pigs and help us cut down on swine feed. On the fence with what breed I want to do. Leaning towards Guernsey or jersey. Mainly due to them being a-2 protein Dominant. Would like to stick with something with a2 protein (mainly) since that’s what my kids drink in their goat milk already on a daily. The jerseys produce more milk per lb of animal (although a smaller animal overall compared to other dairy breeds), more milk per lb of feed and more butterfat (better for cream and yogurt etc), but are more skittish from what I read and have more issues kicking. The jerseys are also slightly hardier from what I have been seeing. The Guernsey are easy to handle, produce more fat and protein Overall, but produce slightly less milk (per lb of animal, and don’t convert feed as well). They are harder to AI (so I have read), which sucks because that’s what I plan on doing to start.

All that said I’m leaning towards Jersey, but does anyone have have any first hand input for me?

Note: we are still doing our dairy goats too (can’t beat them, hay to milk conversation machines that require minimal Maintenance), just want the cow mainly for cream etc.

8 Likes

Ya we milk our cows after they give birth for a couple months. Dexter, Angus, Saler, and hybrids of the 3, the Saler being the largest and by far the most productive of the 3.

We only milk friendly cows since we only do it on occasion, and always out in the field. Maybe getting kicked by a cow is a dangerous game I’m not ready to play yet.

Might buy a couple Jerseys for the house though, for all the reasons you mentioned, and cows are easy enough to make friendly, just takes a consistent bucket of molasses cob or something similar.

8 Likes

Good shit keep us posted! And getting kicked would be fucked.

And I have been getting the animals figured out lately. Pigs are the best so far, will follow me anywhere now haha, as the kids call them “my piggy marching band”. The goats are a little tougher imo, but they are getting it slowly but surely.

4 Likes

My experience with larger farms is that variety really matters. With smaller farms (less than 10 cows!) I didn’t see this issue. My family has kept cows for dairy and slaughter for decades. I only ever had one cow that was a “kicker” meaning she did it aggressively and not just when spooked, etc. and she went to the freezer after a season. Temperament issues exist, but I really think it has to do with environment more than anything these days.

Horses and what not kick too. i was kicked by our goats and llamas way more often than ever our cows. They were happy to come to the barn for milking and would let you know if you were late. I did have one that was notorious for stepping in the bucket. I feel like she did it on purpose, but my mom always rolled her eyes at me about that.

Cows will chill and follow you as well. Not quite like pigs… but way more than goats. I found having groups of animals was the best way - they all just kind of chill and come calling when you go out to meet them. I never had them right up at the house though. Always around 100-150 off in the field/barn with garden and fruit trees between us and them.

And 100% what @Future says about making cows friendly. Slower on the teets without any extra machinery. Giving them fancy food they like. Keeping them comfortable (for instance…not standing on a concrete floor while being insta-sucked on by a machine…) all those things help lots. I remember my first big farm… fuck a duck those cows were unhappy. But cows also had ulcers and other issues all the time and were on a strict feeding diet that made my heart sore for them.

I wish I could have a cow or goats where I am not. I can only have chickens. -sigh-

5 Likes

All sounds in-line haha. Proper culling is essential Imo. We have had to do the same with a few goats (either not nice to kids, dogs, or each other).

And that’s encouraging, goats have made me want to pull my hair out more than once. Pigs have been a dream to work with, especially the kunes, the Berkshires are much more wild.

4 Likes

I’ve done lots of pigs and lots of goats, cows are by far the easiest

4 Likes

The buffalo involved in the making of the famous mozarella di buffala Campana are being played chill music to, and have access to some massaging machines when they want.

4 Likes

Cow massages are awesome. They love rubs and snuggles like most animals appear to do. Good brushing with tasty nibbles helps too.

I don’t know that cows are easier than goats or pigs… maybe pigs. I will say that birthing goats/pigs is MUCH easier than cows. My arms can get in there, but that doesn’t mean they are long enough to reach all the important parts to help the cow out. Never had that issue with pigs or goats. :wink:

4 Likes

Just my .02, I’d get a nice dairy goat to practice on. All the principles apply, cleanliness, technique, timing, troubleshooting. It’s a commitment! Twice a day, every day, Nonnegotiable.

If you have a nice milk cow that you’ve raised since a calf and acclimated to milking, you don’t need to worry so much about the kick @Future mentioned.

This is also an excellent side hustle if you find your local customer base. Check out the online registries for raw milk and expect up to $20/ gallon for milk and great margins on butter.

2 Likes

100% on purpose

2 Likes

I’ve never had to get involved in the birthing, at least 15 calves so far

Any cow that was a trouble birther would be first on the butcher list.

Cattle don’t test fences if your pasture management is good. A single poly line will keep em in place. Pigs and goats are constantly testing fences ime, regardless of how nice the paddock

4 Likes

We already have 3 dairy goats in milk that we do 2x daily, and next spring we will have 6 In milk(assuming they all got pregnant). Plan on still doing them, I want to grow my dairy herd up to having between 10-15 goats in milk. The goats are too easy to not keep doing. Once we have dairy cows I Plan on using most of the goat milk for the pigs.

4 Likes

Heady goat cheese co?

2 Likes

You’re going to do great with a cow.

3 Likes

SO MUCH TRUTH. I’ve only had to do this twice. Both times it was twins in the cow. I remember the first time and my mom came out and coated my arms in palmolive…and in I went! Way more times with goats having issues - especially first time moms. :frowning:

1 Like

The first time I had a burger from a friend’s dairy cow, it occurred to me, that’s why dairy queen burgers are a little different. It also reminds me of the factory made patties from public school cafeterias. Steaks and roasts are a little different, too. The fat is yellow, which some people like. I wasn’t a fan, though. If you are used to having your own beef cattle to eat, a dairy cow would be ok for ground beef to make meat balls, meat loaf, or other prepared dishes.

4 Likes

The beef we buy from a neighbor is so great Fred, grass finished dairy bummers. We love it.

2 Likes