D8 color question

Hey what makes some D8 clear like this?

Some golden like this?

And others dark dark like this :face_vomiting:

Sorry for the dumb question. I don’t really do distillation or extraction and from understanding D8 is converted from isolate which is usually very white?

1 Like

If d8 is the same as short pathing d9, top pic is oxidation (does not cause loss of potency), middle and bottom pics could be swapping the flask too late and pulling tails in the mains flask.

2 Likes

Different people using different tolerances on the many many variables given in each batch. Different reagents, different catalysts, and the different tolerances during distillation are all things can cause variances in color.

4 Likes

I’d wager the see-thru stuff also had magic dirt** in the boiling flask, and @Demontrich is correct, that’s oxidation on the exposed surface.

the golden one did not see additives in the boiling flask during distillation.

the lower one may not even have been distilled after isomerization.

I’ve only made stuff that looked like the first picture.

it looked darker than the second before distillation (after solvent recovery), but lighter than the third.

**activated carbon isn’t technically “dirt”, but is sure is magic when used right.

:wink:

4 Likes

Fresh bros gives an explanation here

1 Like

i would loooooove to refresh this topic…

i’ve been trying to nail my SOP for isomerization / LLE post processing clean up / redistillation

when i first started my d8 would look like this

then on my second batch it looked like this ( almost same hue but better clarity )

my third attempt was what i thought was almost perfect ( labs said 65% TAC but i dont think they had a proper method for d8 because i asked them about CBC and delta 10 being confused for one another on the chromatograph peaks and at which dilution rate did they run for my sample… they were confused as to what i was asking… wtf right?? )

my latest attempt ( having got a COA yet )

pink as fuck in my flask and i thought jesus man i did so many washes and thought the pH was fine
when i pour into a sample jar its pretty much water clear but in the flask its so damn pink … idk man this whole thing has my brain racked.
i’ve only been in the lab for 2.5 years so im aware of my “rookiness” haha

1 Like

answer is kinda simple. A lot of people are doing D8 from CBD isolate, which usually leads to water clear. Other more greedy people are using sugared up CBD distillate which leads to the dark distillate unless they put in the extra work to make it water clear.

1 Like

may be on to something here

i dont know much about your process but what i can say is watch your fractions better; ensure you have a very deep vacuum.
When your distilling your d8, loiter at just the point of/slightly below the BP of your main body fraction; you should start to distill a pinkish discolored oil. allow the system to loiter there without increasing mantle temps untill your condensate goes completely clear/yellowish, change your flask once you distill out all the pink.

6 Likes

The pink is an indicator that there is still acid catalyst reacting in your boiling flask. Assuming you’re doing d8 or similar conversions. L2L with Saline washes will bring it back clear.

1 Like