D8 available 97.9%

When you get clear d8 and warm it on your hotplate to mix terps does it develop a pink swirl and then turn yellow after heated and stirred a bit? Wondering if that’s normal. Was advertised as 91.5d8 and ndd9 with a trace of cbn

2 Likes

I’m gonna theorize that was a lie.

I wonder if the terpenes are affecting the pH causing the rose colors to appear (i think on the higher end of the ph spectrum). If they are, i wonder then how you would neutralize them to avoid it. I bet specific terpene profiles have wildly different acid/base profiles :thinking:

2 Likes

if anything, their lower viscosity and additional heating allow better access of oxygen to oxidisable molecules like D8 while the reaction rate generally doubles for each increase by 10 Kelvin.

3 Likes

I starts changing color before terps are added, just by heating enough to make it transferrable to another container. So it starts clear and ends up yellow to a degree depending on how long its heated. Does that happen to anyone else?

1 Like

Thank you, that makes sense. So I presume if you mixed in a glove box with nitrogen/argon you’d avoid the color change?

3 Likes

4x16n9

10 Likes

So for the people that don’t like clear, just heat it up a little bit and get that nice attractive yellow :yellow_heart:

Correct.

Purple being 0th because only very pure D9 THC does that.

Really ? THC-d8 ? :thinking:

I’m still puzzled by all these color changes we are seeing in all these products.
Most people are dealing with “pH issues”, which have indeed something to do here.
Still I think this is only par of the story. Those change are also observed in “neutral” products, over time… Then people refer to O2 and/or UV assisted oxidation of some sort… which is actually another other part of the story.

It has also been hypothesized several time that such changes are very likely related to the redox reaction involving phenols/quinone groups (present on the mains cannabinöids, or in side-products. or on degradation products). In general, phenols are colorless, and oxidised quinone version expose colors (can be yellow, pink, red, purple…). This is redox chemistry thus is very likely governed by pH and presence of oxidant/reducers…

A lot of question remain on the table.
What are the colored compound exactly ?
Does water wash remove them ? or Simply “discolor” them ?
Same goes dealing with contact with solid media (CRC), or even distillation.
Is the color detrimental in any case ?

A megathread should be made on this subject, collecting all the observation from the various threads and topics, and bringing more solid data on the color compounds (UV-Vis spectroscopy, much simpler than GC HPLC and all…)… so we can better figure out what is the story.

4 Likes

Sorry, mistyped. Edited for clarification. I’m not sure if D8 turns purple, but i know for sure only very pure D9 does - on contact with O2, first purple then very quickly changing to brown.

3 Likes

Never had any turn brow but have had it turn so purple it looked black :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

That’s what happens with 99%+ API Dronabinol at least.

2 Likes

For the purple I would assume, because of the extremely intense colour, a charge-transfer complex between D9 and D9-quinone, analogous to Quinhydrone (Benzoquinone-Hydroquinone).

2 Likes

It is, I have the sop

32c in hexane I believe is the temp it calls for

1 Like

Yeah this is not what I’m doing at all.

2 Likes

You should probably just do that…

1 Like

Confused as to why so many are selling delta 8 carts, when no delta 8 distillate seems to be actually compliant for delta 9.

If it’s 3% d9, might as well be 93% legally speaking correct?

4 Likes

all they see is the $$$

5 Likes

What I see more and more over the last couple years are brands ran by people with zero cannabis industry experience.

I think many of these chads and karens actually believe their delta 8 carts are compliant, because the person they got the distillate and fake COA from told them so.

I spoke with a distributor interested in my brand the other day, the woman on the phone told me they had “hemp buds sprayed with CBN and delta 8” and I should purchase them for MY brand. She had zero clue about the process

5 Likes

Agree with this- gold looks the most normal to me

1 Like