Cuttings/RO/Refrigerator Tips & Tricks

So i tried storing cuttings in some RO in a ziploc bag in the refrigerator to clone them 2-3 weeks later. I opened the bag about 10days after and a rotten smell had started.

Does anyone have tips or recommendations for this technique? Any success?

If i can succesfully lock this tek, i can use all the clones from lollipopping my lightdep gh and have my clines for the next run. No need to keep mothers or buy clones.

In the past I’ve done this for others. Cut from the plant. Mist with well water put in a gallon zip bag with wet paper towel’s throw in cooler until destination. Put in fridge for a few days and all were pretty successful with clonex or Olivia’s. If they are smelly who knows. But can’t hurt to try in the name of science. And we can all learn as well. I think Jorge has a section on this in his books as well.

1 Like

i clone off of clones till i need them.
i like extra clones. never have to plant a runt.

but if you were to root your clones and pot them.
if you kept them at like 50Âş F they will just set there
for weeks. will grow but very slowly.
best of luck

1 Like

Idk much about that technique, but you might try hydrogen peroxide in the water to stop the rot. Florists use a similar product to keep flowers fresh.

4 Likes

An alternative would be just leaving the cuts in water under low light. Use just plain water and change daily or every other day to keep things fresh. Of course they will start rooting, but slowly, and can be held this way for the time you wanted to wait. Then just stick em in your choice of media already rooted.

Room temp works well. Try to keep the little baby roots from the light and keep decent airflow, but no hurricane. May need to cover in arid regions, open air here in the Midwest works.

Basically this way provides slow growth vs stasis while keeping things healthy and fresh. Not exactly what you’re looking for, but you may have some success if you play around with it a bit. It’s a bit more work, but it works.

1 Like

We started playing around with “fridge tek” a couple months ago and have had great results. Id recommend ditching the bag and just leave the cuts in a cup of water (no misting). Change the water every few days. We have one small fluro in the fridge for light 24hrs but have been told it might not be necessary but haven’t tested that part yet. Fridge is set to just above freezing, definitely below 50f. Works great once you get your system going. Best of luck!

3 Likes

I’ve cloned this way many times. Only reason I do is because if I clone in plugs under a dome sometimes it roots too fast for my cycle timing.

I just set a few cuttings in a cup of plain water that gets changed every day or 2 and set it somewhere that gets indirect light (*no long dark periods to prevent transition). This usually keeps the cuttings green and ready to root as soon as planted. I don’t usually get full on roots this way, just little spots ready to strike roots. They can sit in limbo for weeks at room temp and no nutrients.

3 Likes