Cutting agent for refined crude

Hi all, we need to cut our refined extract (not distilled) in a 1:1. However, I am uneasy about using PEG due to what I have been reading on this site. Is MCT a better, safer alternative? If so, why? If not, why not? Thanks guys.

1 Like

Cbd or thc?

1 Like

Thc vape pens

1 Like

Search bar …best cutting agents

2 Likes

MCT works great.
As far as PEG…I don’t think anyone uses PEG anymore, it’s mainly PG.

3 Likes

when you say PG, you mean Polyethylene Glycol, right?

1 Like

propylene glycol

4 Likes

the SOP we have specifies we use Polyethylene Glycol for our cutting agent. So that is PEG. I dont think this is good.

1 Like

How hard are you trying to cut? Decarb the oil first and just cut with terps. If you don’t decarb you’ll end up mining diamonds in your carts with the terp cut.

4 Likes

PG is Propylene Glycol
PEG is polyethylene glycol

1 Like

MCT doesn’t have studies showing that it breaks down into carcinogens at this time that I know of.

2 Likes

Unlike PEG which is reported to be pretty bad health wise to be ingested into body via hi heat of cart. Thanks.

1 Like

No problem. Happy to help. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, the problem with mct is the possibility of lipid pneumonia, I’ve heard certain specific components of it (was it c8?) Are supposed to be less likely to do this. Search mct here and you’ll find much more info. PEG is what they use to reharden dry rot wood. I’ve vaped it before in the caveman pen days, dont like it. Gives me the clear phlegm goop in my throat… A lot of people are talking squalane/squalene, @FloraplexTerpenes will be happy to give advice too (they sell a diluent that has been lab tested by the community here)

2 Likes

In my opinion anything 1:1 is going to be caustic or dangerous.
If i had to pick a cutting agent it would be a thickener and/or a tasteless/dilute by @FloraplexTerpenes .

*** Dont put anything in your pens you wouldnt smoke

4 Likes

Above C10 is where the risk of lipid pneumonia comes from. Most MCT is C6-C12 but if you shop for a good refined source you can get it with primarily C8 in the 95%+ range.

5 Likes

The only cut I could imagine that would be good 1:1 would be cbd distillate, but that would probably still be too thick to dilute to the proper viscosity. Perhaps 50% thc↑crude, 40% cbd ↑distillate and 10% terp mix or diluent. That could do it depending on the starting viscosity of your decarbed crude

1 Like

Thank you! Thats what I was thinking but I didnt know the details.

1 Like

You’re welcome! I love passing on good information.

Thank you for the great inisghts. A major vape pen company has in their formulation for us an SOP 50/50 refined crude and PEG. I just took over operations here and cant believe this. I will consider your suggestions .

1 Like