Custom thermowell or an appropriate insertion length probe on Short Path

So I have an issue with my short path system where my thermometer for my boiling flask doesn’t reach all the way to the bottom of the boiling flask. This means that towards the end of the run I can’t tell what the temp of my crude is. The flask constantly overheats because of this at the end of the run.

In trying to find a solution I’ve come up with two options. One is easier than the other but I can’t find anyone selling it.

The first solution is very simply a longer insertion length probe. I have a 20 L system and my current probe is an 18 inch stainless probe. It’s flexible which allows me to bend it away from the stir bar. If I could find a probe longer than 18 inches, even just 19 or 20, I would be set. I can’t seem to find one.

My other option is to order a custom thermowell that is the exact length I need and that bends away from the stirring. I like this option better in terms of vacuum sealing, but I’m sure it would be an expensive piece for a glassblower to make.

If anyone has found a longer probe or knows someone who could affordably blow the piece please let me know. Or any other solutions are welcome.

Thanks.

Hit uo @david
He has made me many thermowell. All perfect length

2 Likes

You can also run you probe on the outside of you flask inbetween the flask and the mantle fiberglass

1 Like

No, that’s not how it works and it won’t be accurate. You may actually create a unsafe scenario. We have a video on YouTube that explains how mantles work. You would have a +15 to +30 celcius variance for core temps because of how heat is transfered. It’s also very unsafe because most mantles are exposed band heaters so a user can Jab the band and literally shock themselves or damage the unit.

1 Like

@spdking

We actually already do this but with an insulated probe (to prevent shocks). We basically just use this probe as a secondary data source to see how well our PID is regulating heat output. We use one of those RTD sensors on the end of a wire. Like this

Stainless Steel PT100 RTD Thermistor Temperature Sensor Probe,100mm / 4" Long Probe Thermocouple, Probe Diameter :5mm / 2" (Temperature Rang: -50~420°C) Amazon.com

1 Like

That pretty cool. Just be careful. Most mantles have exposed heater bands hurried right behind the bowl.