Custom terpenes analysis

I distilled chocolate mint we grew on the farm, used it to make my own healthy ish chocolate thin mints. They were spot on.

You won’t ever be able exactly recreate the smell/taste of something by blending similar terps. The components and variables of flavor comprise of far more than just Terpenes.

Same as cannabis derived terps vs these botanical blend companies.

But, same way you might look to cannabis for terps, check out some other plants that might offer a natural blend of plant essence, like that chocolate mint oil…

3 Likes

I don’t think many people had this on their radar and it’s such great advice. I started distilling my own orange and lemon essential oils for the science fair and found they can be used sorta like oranges and lemons in beer. 1 drop of the oil and the taste sticks to the bottle all the way through.

1 Like

One can always buy hemp terps and change their makeup with isolated terps/flavor alcohols

2 Likes

You’d think. It doesn’t work as easily as that, in my hands. I think those elusive minor components need to be in correct proportion to mimic the smell of cannabis essential oil. To me it smelled like a fake blend mixed with hemp terps. So we didn’t pen it.

But I really think on the arc of dishonesty in the flavor market that this approach is more genuine. It would definitely make a unique blend that would differentiate the producer from the crowd. I’d love to try something like this at the next MJ Bizcon.

2 Likes

Those minor components being the aforementioned phenol’s, flavanoids and alcohols?

1 Like

Yep and more. That review is not comprehensive. Though, I’ve not gotten anyone who will confirm that the higher boiling flavonoids make it into the essential oils, nor are they known to have any desirable taste. I found an article that says they may reduce bad tastes. MS operators?

1 Like