Current Solvent Ratio in CLS

We like to occasionally use mixtures of n-butane/propane for our closed loop live resin extraction. Our supplier will give it to us pre-mixed or separate. Does anyone have a good method for determining the current solvent mix in your solvent tank? We start with 70/30, but I’m sure after even just one run, that ratio is off. I’ve been racking my brain trying to figure out a reliable and safe way to figure out what I have inside my solvent tank at any given time. Is there a chart to correlate the mixture to pressure and temperature? I haven’t been able to locate one that was useful to me. Thanks!

1 Like

Given the way vapor pressure varies with temperature and mol fraction of the various components, I’m sure there is a way of using pressure readings at a couple of well chosen temperatures and some maths to figure it out.

if I’d had more coffee I might even do something stupid like make a stab at the math. :wink:

this might help get you started

6 Likes

How large is your running tank? I use a 70/30 blend as well, order in tanks pre-mixed and fill a significantly smaller tank off the premixed. As the day drags on the propane % decreases but typically I only get a days worth of running of a single fill.

Add back propane

When the yield starts getting fucky add back butane

Add back regularly so it’s in smaller amounts. I’d do it daily

3 Likes

Really need to sit down and teach this maths to my phone at some point…anyone done that yet?!?

2 Likes

Just run isobutane…

Fuck blends imo

5 Likes

This is the way.

im pretty sure the propane goes away first.