Curing live material

Hey everyone, has anybody ever cured material that has been stored under presumption that it’d be ran live? Would it be detrimental to run it as cured material if so?

You’ll need to pull the water while it’s still frozen. Freeze dryer style. There are a couple of places folks have explored how one might accomplish that without a freeze dryer (Rotovap works in a pinch)…

Pulling the water will also lose you some of the terpenes.

Why would you need a freeze drier to pull water after it’s been frozen, but a curing tent is sufficient after it’s been cut?

Stored under the presumption it will be run live implies Frozen to me. If you haven’t frozen it then yeah no worries. If you have you can’t just hang it in a tent

So has this material been frozen?

5 Likes

Look up lyophilisation aka freeze drying

If you wanna go from ice to water free without soaking your bud you need sublimation

5 Likes

Yeah I mean that it’s been frozen. Cut, put on dry ice, then decided to run cured instead of frozen. Why can it not just be hung in a tent after being frozen?

Will it draw moisture out of the air and become wetter than it would naturally?

Have you ever run fresh frozen?

Did you let the biomass thaw out afterwards?

What did it look like?

2 Likes

Try that on an oz

Or freeze a head of lettuce and then thaw that out

4 Likes

How about a screw press

1 Like

Mushrooms are a good one to see this happen too also

The ice splits the cell walls turning it to a mushy mess

3 Likes

That’s what I was going to say
Cells have water
Water expands when it freezes.
The cell walls rupture
This is good in trying to extract certain alkaloids from cacti…freeze and that before initial extraction
Not so good on trying to dry cannabis after it has been frozen
My homey gave me “fresh frozen” to run into hash, but his freezer was off when the electricity went out, and it thawed and re-froze
That shit was nasty

5 Likes

Out of the AIR?!?

Nope. Your “fresh frozen” is ~80% water.

If you were not aware that water expands (becomes less dense) when frozen, I suggest you drop some ice cubes in a glass of water and observe them. Why do they float?

Fill a canning jar with water, cap it, put it in the freeze over night. what happens?

Same thing happens to the plant cells.

When you freeze the water in a cell, you almost always rupture that cell (because the ice takes up more room than the water did, and the cell was FULL of water). Unless you go to some effort to avoid that.

Seriously, remove an oz of your frozen material from the freezer, and put it in your cure room. You’ll end up with compost.

dingdingdingding - Ran some fresh frozen for a buddy of mine that had the same thing happen to. The rosin came out like baby shit. Figured i’d give it a shot to help him recoup a couple bucks but after the first run it just wasn’t worth it

5 Likes

Would this thread be more interesting if the OP question was how do I cure live resin ?

4 Likes

Another way to say what cyclopath kindly walked you through

it’s impossible. Every cell wall is busted, and it must be kept frozen to avoid leaching undesirables, I assume hydrolysis and chlorophyll leaching occuring. For the some of the same reasons we can’t just freeze people, you cannot freeze and thaw weed.

Short of freeze drying, it will never be dried successfully.

Following that logic, are you suggesting human sized Harvest Rights because I’m down

2 Likes