Cultivating for THCA

Licensed grower in Tennessee which is a Delta 9 only state. Has anyone run any compliant strains of hemp which are high in THCA?

Another thing we are exploring is adding THCA into rosin or carts. My calculations are a wild guess and I have no chemistry training but I estimate starting levels of .07 or below Delta 9 to keep from being hot when concentrated. So .05 in flower which yields 17% would get multiplied by 5.88 equals 2.94

By definition hemp can’t be high THCA.

2 Likes

According to our state hemp association and Department of Agriculture, that is not true here. Rod Kight, an attorney out of North Carolina, says THCA is federally legal too under the Farm Bill…based on the word “or”.

Seems sketchy, the farm bills definition of hemp specifically says any part of the cannabis plant and any part of it including its acids (specifically) containing less than .3% delta 9 THC. All the strains you know and love are high THCA. By the rational given, all cannabis is legal as long as you harvest it early enough. I don’t think that interpretation will stand up.

Edit: better start slinging the shit out of some diamonds then :gem: :joy::joy:

2 Likes

We expect the loophole to be closed when the USDA issues guidance but that may be at least another year. We are hoping they adopt a total THC level of 1%. A reading such as you outlined, and many agree, means pretty much all hemp flower is currently illegal.

Here is Kight’s argument…

https://cannabusiness.law/what-is-total-thc-and-does-it-matter/

:smile:

you need to read a lot… a lot more.

1 Like

Judges take the legislatures intent into account when interpreting law.

The technically correct loopholes many are turning to in the farm bill will be decided in court unless new laws are written. I am not as optimistic as others here it seems.

2 Likes

Well since thca decarboxylates at room temperature to thc, a legal product today be illegal tomorrow anyway just from the shelf time

3 Likes

Good point. So with resin do they have to keep it refrigerated or does it not decarb to the same extent as flower?

Inert gas injected into packaging and kept cold and out of light.

1 Like

@that445guy

Here you go

1 Like

I have friends who believe that pretty much all hemp flower is illegal because of the potential for it to decarb and their interpretation of the Farm Bill. Here in my state the inspectors only test within 30 days before harvest and it is not checked after that. We are also told that we will be tested by HPLC and we are OK regardless of the THCA level.

Someone mentioned how ludicrous this is because most regular weed is mostly THCA in its raw form. I have wondered the same thing.

I recently did my first dab. It was from pressed hemp flower and I enjoyed the effects. It was nice not to have to smoke or vape so much material to get the effect. Oddly, I have spoke with some CBD store owners in locations such as my home state of Kentucky where flower is prohibited but concentrates are allowed. I have been exploring the viability of offering rosin to such markets.

Delta 8 infused CBD carts… sign me up LOL

1 Like