Crystals forming on top of CBN distillate

Terps are nice at 5% very tasty, I handed out sample carts to a few hemp stores in my area, all well received.

@RockSteady the ratio of CBN:CBG:CBD is phenomenal thank you for the recommendation :spoon:

Will update on shelf stability of cart over time

4 Likes

definitely common, I have a similar small vial that also turned to fully white crystals/crumble after stirring with a dabber.

2 Likes

Iā€™d to try one these carts

1 Like

How are they I really wanna try them

2 Likes

They are very nice, I am only down to a couple but will be making quite a few more after I can be sure they donā€™t crystallize too much over time. Iā€™ll update the post when and if they do make it to production and I have extras. May have to play with the ratios slightly.

Is there any way to tell if a cart will crystallize other than just waiting?

2 Likes

You could put it through temp swings to try to speed up the process.

5 Likes

Update: the cart that I have been smoking seems to have fully crystallized overnight, after smoking about half of it yesterday.

The one I didnā€™t smoke has a few bubbles but seems to not be crystallizing

Are these items still able to be sold at a retail level? Is the consumer ok with this?

I feel like there are some aesthetic issues with products sometimes that only I notice or care about

I have gotten cartridges from heavy hitters that would crystallize on the shelf at the shop after a couple weeks, the sales rep simply said ā€œthat happens with the CBD onesā€ and we left it at that. Not that HH is a great model for a stand up company or anything.

Will this affect how the Carts vape? The one I have seems to still be hitting alright

1 Like

Reduce your cbn portion to 45%; you have to find a balance between the compounds; I wouldnt attempt to sell crystallized carts; find your perfect ratios to inhibit crystallization. Youā€™ll have a much easier time selling a beautiful oil than a clump of crystal

8 Likes

We recently had some CBN distillate which tested around 51% with no THC or CBD but a small amount of delta8. Even at this purity crystallization occurs over night during storage. Any ideas on why this would be happening. Or is there a completely unknown compound assisting in the crytallization?

2 Likes

Terps are likely an ideal medium for cbn crystallization.

Polar and Nonpolar compounds in a volatile mixture and slightly acidic.

3 Likes

We were thinking this CBN had seen some major heat in the conversionā€¦ I would have thought most terps would have volatilized much lower, hence not present in the CBN distillate. We could get a terp analysis on the next sample thoughā€¦

I was referring to the fully crashed carts shown above. High purity CBN will crystallize on its own

1 Like

At what potency do you have to start worrying about the CBN recrystallizing? I am doing a batch of carts with a preform 9:1 thc distillate: melted CBN isolate, then 9:1 preform: terp blend then into a cart. Wondering if anyone has an experience that could save me a stability test on something like this.

Iā€™ve found the line to be right at 2:1 THC distillate to CBN. If I keep it under that threshold only around 10% of the carts will crystallize. (In long term storage waiting to be sold). It can be a pain, but worth it. The bulk THC/CBN mixture can be prone to crystallizing though.

2 Likes

Highest amount of CBN in a cart Iā€™ve gotten was 60 percent. CBD and CBN need to be below 50 percent total combined of the cart unless you add cbc/cbt.

The best thing to add if you want high CBN or high CBD ratio carts is CBC or CBT. 5 percent terps + 5-10 percent of either cbc or cbt will allow you to hit 50 percent and avoid the crystallization happening again. If you feel froggy you can push it to 60 with 10 percent cbc and 5 percent terps like I did but 50 or below is the safe spot once you have terps and some cbc.

3 Likes

Cbn is an absolute nightmare if you donā€™t want it to crystallize lol

I REPEAT. HOLY SHIT THIS ISNT FUN TO CLEAN UP

4 Likes

Iam planning on doing a mixture of 1:1 cbn delta 8 will this crystalize or do you guys think it will stay as an oil ?

I also planing to make a thcH cbn mix of 1:1 and thcH is as d8 disty form but slightly stiff like d8 and not as watery as other disty can be

So you mixed 2 parts thc disty to 1 part cbn and 10% of the carts crystallize ?

Is cbn so strong that it rebinds in so small amount compared to something that is ā€œliquifiedā€ ?

I know cbd isolate wont crystalize with thc if like 50/50 mixed dident think cbn crystallized harder then cbd

The crystals look like mold, thats so weird