Crystallization machine

They look like continuous feed packed bed style gas/liquid columns for salting out crystals, often used for Hcl crystallization in pharmaceutical production-

yes what you have here could absolutely be set up for large scale purification and crystallization of cbd

Check out the thread I made recently on applied use of ultrasonics in crystallization of CBD.

7 Likes

The way I see it, the spools (whether packed or not) are concentrating the cannabinoids in the mother liquor. The tanks on the backside accept condensate of mother liquor and the tanks in the front act as continuous feed crystallizers.

The packing of the column intrigued me. I wonder if it’s a structured packing or has a chemical reaction element associated with it

2 Likes

If the columns are empty, or filled with raschig rings or some other stationary packing it’s a gas crystallizer, if they’re heat exchangers, it’s for sugar evaporation type crystallization- but I don’t see any scrapers or stirring so I don’t think it’s a scraped surface heat exchanger as would by typical for sugar production (the photo @MagisterChemist posted are scraped surface exchangers, hence the motors on top and cone shaped bottoms)

The way your system is set up makes me think it’s a countercurrent gas crystallizer which would be super duper cool.

4 Likes

Packing the columns with a structured or random bed increases reaction efficiency by increasing the surface area and exposure time between phases

1 Like

Of this I am aware, but is a reaction actually happening within the columns?

Reactions seem unnecessary for a crystallization unit operation. If feed stock is high purity CBD in a light hydrocarbon/mother liquor, the only real function of the columns would be concentrating the cannabinoids to the precipice of nucleation so that they instantaneously pass the critcal nucleus when they hit the holding vessels.

Am I making sense?

1 Like

A structure packed column would be used for passing an acid gas through a solution to salt out an compound EG alkaloid salting

It’s likely the item was purchased without understanding the operation, and never was intended for CBD crystallization

I would set these up as a countercurrent LLE with a ph brine gradient applied that ends On the acidic side, and slap a bunch of transducers on the agitated pot in the back left- you can crash out of non-saturated solution at room temp, near quantitative cbd yields, as a fine and easy to handle in slurry with no inclusions, In less than an hour if you use ultrasound and liquid/liquid manipulation.

6 Likes

Shit, that would be awesome.

2 Likes

It’s really cool to watch the US pulse a beautiful snow globe of crystals Instantaneously, esp

after previous experiences including:
watching people freezing whole drums of pentane and seeing the barrels cave in.

mixing hot boiling alkanes in glass reactors and crash in 55gal plastic (!!!) drums in shipping container freezers with no temp ramping.

Seeing people spending hours and hours grinding in food processors and blenders after shoveling out the poorly yielded incredibly impure yellow crystals

People in hot warehouses pouring solvents into socks and pouring room temp solvents through in aluminum stock pots … people Solvating their brains with hexane, no closed systems… destroyed yields…

There is a better way.

I haven’t tested the US with terpenes yet but I’m quite certain it’ll work like a charm-
Which means cert organic isolate is possible.

8 Likes

Looks like a @shattergurljaqueline rig to me, multiple chambers to move either Mother liquor to them recrx, then move again recrx then continually loop though will evaporating what solvent may be present till you’re left with a super saturated crx lattice in each. :man_shrugging:t3::man_shrugging:t3::man_shrugging:t3::man_shrugging:t3::smirk: I’m just spitballing here

1 Like

For sonocrystalization, the most convenient approach seems to use a flow through cell. Something that could be easily implemented on such system. :thinking:

The key is to have the most uniform distribution of energy between the probe, and the solution. Some companies have patented cell design. I guess it should be some sort of tubular cage or screen…

3 Likes

It’s not that complicated

I use an overhead stirrer, and a jacketed vessel, immersed in a large ultrasonic bath (a parts cleaner)

For large scale continuously fed crystallizer- yes, a series of cup horn style flow cells would make the most sense

That hardest part about continuous feed would be dialing in the flow speed, as more and more Solids crystals accumulate there would be a rise in back pressure so the pipes themselves would need to widen, but because the input material likely would not be phenomenally consistent… the crystallization reaction Parameters would be shifting constantly - so upstream processing would need to focus a lot on quality of consistent upstream product…

I’d love to see some sort of AI computer software able to take a reading on a distillate, perform a series of micro experiments, and then reprogram a plant to dial the system for optimum efficiency but then again that’s sort of what an engineer is

Side. I’d like to see what a high pressure homogenizer would do for a supersaturated solution- but that’s getting off into weird thoughts that I have late at night when I’m trying to leave my body

10 Likes

Nah that’s not Jackie’s work lol shes a little more on the ball than alibaba sugar tek.

2 Likes

No doubt, just looks very similar to hers is all :pray:t3: Ayeeeeee actually hit up the healing alchemist bro he needs cbd disty!

2 Likes

Doubt it… HC requires specs on PSI, etc… no stamp = mad fire marshal and big booms.
Probably multistage OSLO crystallization… used in salting out for industry etc… large scale… this one is a baby…

Here is another picture that may clarify more.

2 Likes

And there is a stirrer in the evaporator.

Show a picture of the back

2 Likes

BACK of EQUIPMENT

2 Likes

Could you use this system for chromatography ?

Also, am i correct in thinking that this system works and high temperature and low pressure ? Also everything is bolted sealed instead of clamps ? I can’t see how you would use this system without spending alot of money to re-purpose it.
To the point if it were me I would sell it or try to send it back and then buy the correct equipment for purpose.

1 Like

You’re advising that he sell the system without ever seeing it in person?

Seems rash

5 Likes