Crystallization cbd

Hello there,

I have a 2 questions which i havent found in the search box.

First one is

• if I have a cbd prominent crude e.g. 16% cbd 0.4% thc and will crystallize it in ethanol, are the crystals pure cbd or are there some co crystals which might be thc, or is the saturation from the thc to low to even crystallize?

and

• what is the solubility of cbd or thc in ethanol ? cant find it on google or here

Thanks a lot !

Both very soluble in Etoh, that’s not the solvent you’ll want to use for crystalization.

4 Likes

dont mind the solvent was just an example I do it in butane normally.

Lemme know if you want to buy a SOP.

2 Likes

Free (BUT OLD) Hemp Biomass-to-Isolate SOP (complete) using cryo EtOH, wiped film dist., with C7 (re)crystallization?

2 Likes

Use heptane and follow the procedure in that SOP of mine that @silverstudent posted above.

Most often crystallization is done using distillate, in that case THC is decarbed and will not crystallize. THC will bind up CBD at three times its ratio. So 1% THC in your distillate will bind up 3% of your CBD and keep it in solution. All the rest of your CBD (and CBDv if present) should crash out. I highly recommend at least one recryst no matter how good it looks.

3 Likes

crude at only 16% is very low, usually it’s around 50%-70%. If your crude isn’t winterized you will get waxes dropping out along with your CBD, which is why most folks isolate CBD using the distillate.

1 Like

I am sorry the flower has 16% cbd and .4 thc. and thanks for the answers helps a lot!

2 Likes

And thanks for the SOP ! Awesome

1 Like

Your SOP would probably vary with your ratio and what equipment you would be using, But have the most crucial parts on making the reaction crash out properly I assume.

Definatly a ratio of 1:5 pentane sovent.