Cryo temp

What’s the ideal temp for running cryo?

2 Likes

It’s technically not cryo but we all call it that anyways…if making diamonds -55 to -78f great starting point…

What are making?

2 Likes

Diamonds at the moment but will be doing half diamonds half shatter on my next run. My buddy was telling me about thca crashing out at to cold of temps and saying -30 is the way to go. My temp gun is broken atm but I was hitting -50 give or take with dry ice sleave around Coumn. I’m looking into getting new equipment and looking at chillers but a lot max out at -30 threw -40. But I also got some info on a tech that requires no chiller or sleave they say add frozen gas into bottom of column maybe 5 lbs or so then recover out of top of tube to duck to he frozen gas threw tube flash freezing it the start your normal run and the material will be cold enough he’s only making shatter I’m going to experiment with this tech this weekend and find out

No chiller need… Freeze Everything, push cryo solvent if possible, Blast fast and cold no soak, run lil extra if worried not getting enough…use the sleeve!

Dry ice and acetone will work fine for dropping thcA or dry ice alone…

Follow the otss thread for more detailed instructions… They over 1200 messages on there…

That’s any where from 100-200 times someone needing help and the answers, read through it!

All the answers are there and explained well if not at beginning later on w ppls problems!

1 Like

What brand temp gun do you have that goes below -40c?

2 Likes

I make mine say LO…I think mine goes to -55 or so…but I don’t trust these…

I want a drop in one for the solution, something like these guys posted week or so back

When dry ice stops reacting to the solvent that’s usually perfect

1 Like

Cool, I thought you might of found one that went below -40c. That’s the lowest I have found in that configuration. I have a Cryo thermostat that measures to -200c but it’s not that practical. I like the ease of use of the pistol type thermostats.

2 Likes

Is the kind u stick the probe in the solution not fast enough or something?

Takes two hands to operate. Mine has two types of probes I can use. One of the probes I can touch objects or solutions with and the other is a wire I can probe or place inside of solutions. I have the wire probe rigged on most things with some velcro so I can attached the unit and just leave it on while I work. I might have a video of it in use.

3 Likes

It’s so much easier to point and get a quick reading.

1 Like

-60c, the lowest you can go with IR afaik.

These are nifty and I see a lot around
https://www.thomassci.com/Instruments/Digital-Thermometers/_/F1A48EC5-E688-4B85-9CA6-367B188B7027?q=Low%20Temperature%20Thermometer

4 Likes

Yeah, -76 and -90c is the lowest either of those go. I work wit LN2 so I need something that goes to -200c. I have searched high and low and the unit I have now is what I found. It works but it’s not practical or I just need 2 more hands. :grin:

1 Like

This is the unit I have now.

3 Likes

So stonejh77 you say no chiller but I’m spending so much on dry ice its out of control I’m at 1500 every 4 days almost 3k a week wen I can spend 6 or 7 k and get a chiller and only use dry ice for my coils I’m just trying g to scale down my spending while scaling up production. That’s y I’m so Intrested in this no sleave or jacket tech using frozen solvent to freeze my tube pre running my solvent. They say put a spout at the bottom of tube to Inject 5 or so lb of solvent then use recovery pump to pull the frozen gas at the bottom of tube yo the top flash freezing the tube to cryo temps and wen the tube gets back negative push in my normal 18 lbs of gas I. From bottom while soaking then switch to top and drop the other 18 lbs of gas after opening from soak to collection pot. I am going to do some experimenting in the next few days and I will start a thread with details and pics I am intrested in trying the no soak with frozen has going strait threw top also and will have a compare and contrast on both but if any one has heard of this flash freeze tech please share.

3 Likes

At those rates listen to the big boys
… Kinda thought u might have thought you needed just to make

1 Like

No worries I appreciate all the Info I can get the game is changing so fast if your not on top of the ball ur getting ran over any more. Happy new year.

2 Likes

And on the temp gun I got one at home depo goes to -55 after that says low.

3 Likes

Lowest I’ve heard of so far.

I"m considering building one using a MLX90614 IR temp sensor. Its supposedly rated to -70. If I do, I’ll keep ya posted!

1 Like