Cryo Smokable Flower

Looking for some knowledge on freeze drying post harvest for smokable flower.

• Freezeing my flowers evenly so all the water is a solid
  • I then start to drop my pressure and increase my temp (no more than +16C)

When I pull the flower out I’m around 8-15% moisture reading (based on my weight going in & weight coming out calculations I’m getting about a 75% weight loss). and put the flower in cure tubes and stay around that moisture level.

• Im curious about not drying out the flower as much
    - thinking about getting a 20% moisture reading.
  • then put on dry racks and let it cure for a few days. and slowly bring the last 10% moisture down “traditionally” (instead of pulling all the moisture out and drying the flower completely out and letting it rehydrate… do the opposite and pull it out of the freeze drying and let it dry out in the atmosphere)

anyone have any ideas?

1 Like

You’ll probably want to keep your max temp below 0C. Maintaining a moderate vacuum level that brings the sublimation temp to about 30C below the shelf temp will help keep your terps. If you pull too hard, it’ll take too long and you’ll lose too many volatiles. I also recommend absolutely drying the bud to below like 1-2% moisture content and then curing for a few days before rehydrating, it seems to help lose the grassy notes. After you’ve given it a few days, seal in a 5 gallon gamma bucket with a spacer rack in the bottom. Pour a little bit of sterile water (we used autoclaved water) in the bottom and re seal. It takes a good week and a half to rehydrate up to smokeable moisture content but its the best way we found to make it not as grassy as a hay bale.

7 Likes